Go Down

Topic: Best website to buy components from? (Read 794 times) previous topic - next topic

Maker101

I have been wondering if there any ideal website to buy components from.
Is it better to have fast shipping vs slow shipping?
Would you prefer US shipping?
Would you like to have products tested before you buy?
Would you be willing to pay more for products guaranteed to work?
In other words, what would your ideal website to buy components from offer.

Robin2

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

larryd

Sounds like you aren't really going to be a contributing member on the Arduino board.  ;)

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

ballscrewbob

Am tired of paying through the nose for American and Canadian shipping on goods.

My failure rate of Chinese bought goods is exceptionally low and at the prices I often order two or more anyway.

For the items that might take a while I have become accustomed to slow delivery and order accordingly.
The Chinese are getting around the US postal restrictions in some instances by using drop shipping and I have seen an increase in "SPEEDY DELIVERY" which I didn't expect.

If you are selling...dont try sell Chinese parts for extra profit...Another  reason I dont get things from the two closest countries !

If you are buying simply do your homework and build up a list of slow / fast sellers.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

NoraTheDoggo

I would recommend LCSC.
There is slow shipping, unless you want to pay more.
There components are SUPER cheap, but high quality.
They also have had every component I've ever looked for.
***** Five stars for LCSC.
https://lcsc.com/

IRF540 Mosfet Prices(for one piece)
Amazon's "Choise": $6.14 + shipping($1.23)
LCSC:  0.5337 + shipping($7 to the USA)
I like cooking children and Arduinos
Is not the same as: I like cooking, children, and Arduinos
Grammar matters!

ballscrewbob

Good component prices but limited inventory otherwise Doggo
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

pwillard

Jul 10, 2018, 08:26 pm Last Edit: Jul 10, 2018, 08:26 pm by pwillard
They also have had every component I've ever looked for.
Actually this is not a good endorsement.

Longtoke

Jul 14, 2018, 07:40 am Last Edit: Jul 14, 2018, 07:42 am by Longtoke
I have been wondering if there any ideal website to buy components from.
This is dependent on what country the person in. where I am ( in Australia ) there's no retail e-stores that aren't a complete and utter rip off on pricing.

Is it better to have fast shipping vs slow shipping?
Fast shipping, but again it's another rip off point. That 3 gram flat item I just bought for $1(aud) doesn't cost $12 to express post to me ( still often being a 3-4 day wait ). It's easy to see someone padding the shipping price for extra profit on the base item.

Would you prefer US shipping?
Being in Australia, nope. The shipping costs of US to other countries is ludicrous.

Would you like to have products tested before you buy?
I would expect ANY assembled device is tested by the manufacturer. If a distributor is buying untested products from a supplier, then they should be testing items themselves. Pretty standard practice to expect a guaranteed functional item on any purchase. Returns are often more expensive than the item you originally brought and it leaves a sour taste.  

Would you be willing to pay more for products guaranteed to work?
NO, as I said above, items guaranteed working is a responsibility of the seller. If your manufacturer isn't testing their products, it's not a good sign.

In other words, what would your ideal website to buy components from offer.
If were talking arduino level components, obviously having inventory for the voltage / current ranges encountered during typical arduino use. Having 10,000 Kv transformers or 100 Amp fuses for example is just a waste of time for both the seller and the purchaser.

As far as arduino type devices and boards go, the china-cheapy's brought via a distributor ( Aliexpress for example ) or e-bay fit the niche currently. I'd rather buy 10 items from china and donate directly to the Arduino project than buy a single "Genuine Arduino" product that's been marked up beyond all reasonable sense. Iv'e often found the exact same item ( down to PCB color, circuit track and silk screen markings ) available for as little as a 10th of the price from china and so far Iv'e had 1 item fail ( an arduino nano clone that cost $3 AUD ) out of about 100 bought. I'm all for supporting a commercial business, but the price gouging is real.

Go Up