Go Down

Topic: Is it me, or is it the forum? (Read 853 times) previous topic - next topic

ElCaron

I notice that I spend much less time here recently. A few month ago, I scanned the headlines and always found a few to quickly contribute. Now, it seems to be almost exclusively one of:

- [Very specific problem that requires either experience with the respective system or a deep look at the datasheet],
- "Is does not work" followed by two pages of tries to get any usable information out of the OP, often with hardly any participation of the same,
- "This is the first time I am doing electronics. Can you please help me with first project, a homeautomation-supercomputer-quadrocopter with face and speech recognition, which I want to built with my Uno. I think it shouldn't be a big problem." or
- "I would like to solve this problem" - "Well x and y would be options, the advantage of x is a and of y is b. Could you tell us more about i and j? We also need to know k." - "What is the best part to solve my problem?"

Robin2

Apr 17, 2018, 10:35 am Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 10:35 am by Robin2
Nice summary.

I suspect your eye/brain has just become more discriminating based on experience.

I think this Thread would be more fun if moved to Bar Sport.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

pert

I do notice short term cycles on the forum. Sometimes there is just a major increase in cross posts. Other times it's the panicked people trying to do final projects at the last minute. I always suspect those are related to school course schedules, perhaps just a single class or school unleashing all this on us. I wonder if the instructors specifically direct the students to come here for help, and if so do they bother to point them to the "How to use this forum - please read" post?

As for a general long term change, I don't see that. I mostly focus on the topics related to quirks of the Arduino IDE since there are people here who can do a much better job with the general programming and electronics questions so there are a lot more topics of interest to me after a new feature is released or a bug pops up.

noweare

For me the frustrating part  is myself and others put time into answering an OP question then the OP just disappears. That to me is just an abuse of resources.

If the OP only has a one or two posts I will normally not put time into an answer.

pert

One way to gauge the level of someone's engagement in the process is to request some additional information (there is almost always some important information missing) before spending time to dig through a bunch of code, test on hardware and write a long reply. I think a lot of people immediately post to the forum when they have a problem, then get impatient waiting for an answer and do a web search, which they should have done first. They quickly find a solution and go on with their lives, not bothering to respond to all the people wasting time trying to help them on the forum.

I remember the first time I posted on the forum I was surprised that I never got an email notifying me that I had a reply. It turned out the default account setting was that I would only get "forum alerts", which I've never found useful. I'm not sure if that's still the default setting.

Robin2

One way to gauge the level of someone's engagement in the process is to request some additional information (there is almost always some important information missing) before spending time to dig through a bunch of code,
I particularly liked this reply to my recent question
Maybe you would have more success if you listened to people here and answered some of their questions.
Quote from: Robin2 on April 19, 2018, 08:39:27

Are you saying that even if you send 'a' the code for 'b' is run?
...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ElCaron

That wasn't a reply to you, though, but someone quoting your question and asking the OP to answer it ;)

I generally do not look at question with subjects that do not even remotely hint to what they are about. If people haven't even made their mind up about what they want to know, why should I bother.
I would DEFINITIVELY have been out after the OP failed multiple times at putting stuff in code tags. I don't even know what is worse: Not trying to do it, or trying to do it and miserably failing. If they cannot do such a simple tasks, how do they ever expect to get a C program running?

Robin2

Apr 20, 2018, 03:26 pm Last Edit: Apr 20, 2018, 03:26 pm by Robin2
That wasn't a reply to you, though, but someone quoting your question and asking the OP to answer it
It was. He just printed the answer before the quote.

...R

Robin2

If they cannot do such a simple tasks, how do they ever expect to get a C program running?
That remains a deep mystery.

Add to that the mystery of how a person can be logical enough to create and debug a program if they are not logical enough to figure out where to post a question.

...R

ElCaron

It was. He just printed the answer before the quote.
Na, don't think so, mate. It wasn't even the OP who wrote that and it wouldn't make a lot of sense :)

Robin2

Na, don't think so, mate. It wasn't even the OP who wrote that and it wouldn't make a lot of sense :)
OH DEAR ... deep senior moment. Glad I did not name names here.

Thank you for putting me straight. I must go and apologize.

...R

Southpark

May 05, 2018, 10:31 pm Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 10:39 pm by Southpark
For me the frustrating part  is myself and others put time into answering an OP question then the OP just disappears. That to me is just an abuse of resources.

If the OP only has a one or two posts I will normally not put time into an answer.
Well, all internet veterans know this. It's part of using the internet. As we all know ..... there are all types out there.... in the world.

Like internet veterans ..... just got to pick what we're interested in (filtering), and what we want to reply to (or use our time for). If it's some kind of voluntary help thing ..... then make it voluntary help. If they disappear for some reason, then just treat it as nothing surprising. If that's the sort of behaviour they have, then nature often teaches them some kind of lesson --- automatically, and eventually.

Coding Badly

For me the frustrating part  is myself and others put time into answering an OP question then the OP just disappears. That to me is just an abuse of resources.
...or the person died.

...or the person was incapacitated.

...or someone the person cares about was incapacitated and needs constant care.

...or the person lost their job and can no longer afford internet access.

...or the person is being financially raped by a U.S. hospital and can no longer afford food.

...or the person was so excited to have something working they simply forgot to follow-up.

You, @noweare, are painfully myopic and unsympathetic.

Robin2

May 06, 2018, 09:55 am Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:57 am by Robin2
You, @noweare, are painfully myopic and unsympathetic.
That's a bit harsh, I can see the two sides of this.

Personally, I don't get bothered if the OP vanishes. Life is too short. But it is nice to get some feedback.

What can be irritating is when the OP continues to comment but clearly has not bothered to read an earlier Reply into which I put some effort. I get the impression some users just read and respond to the most recent Reply and never bother to check if there have been any others.

...R

Coding Badly

I apologize.  I failed to include a reference in my post just above the last sentence...

Refusing to help someone else because they have a low post count is the dictionary definition of "unsympathetic".

Failing to see one's own lack of sympathy while criticizing another for the same is the dictionary definition of "myopic".

That's a bit harsh...
"Harsh" and "accurate" are not mutually exclusive.

Go Up