Go Down

Topic: NRF2401 - linux to arduino  (Read 176 times) previous topic - next topic

opale7000

Apr 21, 2018, 11:04 pm Last Edit: Apr 21, 2018, 11:09 pm by opale7000
Hello arduino fans.

Let's say I have an arduino with a NRF2401 in room B.  I have a Linux based PC in room A
Is it possible to attach an NRF2401 to a Linux PC in room A to send commands to arduino in room B ?
Or perhaps Bluetooth would be a better choice?

Robin2

I believe you can get a "dongle" that allows you to connect an nRF24 to a PC but I have no experience of them.

For my own projects I connect my PC to an Arduino and connect the Arduino to an nRF24. Then I have a PC program that sends a message to the Arduino program which relays the message by wireless to other Arduinos with nRF24s.

Bluetooth may indeed be a better choice if you just want 1-to-1 communication.

I presume you are aware that Blutetooth is quite incompatible with an nRF24 even though they both use the same 2.4GHz frequency band.

...R
Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

opale7000

Apr 22, 2018, 12:12 am Last Edit: Apr 22, 2018, 12:21 am by opale7000
Using an arduino with an NRF2401 connected to PC in Room A is acceptable for sure. However I if can automate commands being sent at a certain time a day from PC then I am happy. Is this doable? Perhaps and RPI 3 is more appropriate?

All is want to automatically sent commands from  Linux PC to listening devices to turn on/off some lights. I know there are tons of devices that do this already. I have looked at sonOff and ESP8266 yet do not wish to have to go through the Internet and servers to simple controls some lights.

swe-dude

If all you need are to send out timed commands i would consider using a esp32 or esp8266 its not that hard to either use a rtc module or a ntp server to keep track of the time and sent out nrf messages.
But i would also consider if its worth it to make your own nrf24l01 controlled lights?

Why not just buy cheap 433 controlled outlets and send commands to those from a esp8266 with 433 transmitter?

i have a few lights a fan and a usb charger i control that way and so far its all running perfect.

Best of luck

Robin2

Using an arduino with an NRF2401 connected to PC in Room A is acceptable for sure. However I if can automate commands being sent at a certain time a day from PC then I am happy. Is this doable? Perhaps and RPI 3 is more appropriate?
That is doable - but you will need to a suitable program on the PC.

An RPi is just a PC in a small package.

However, I am not arguing against the other options that have been suggested. If it was my project I might use the nRF24s because I am familiar with them.

If you are already familiar with web programming and WiFi then using some ESP8266 modules for the slaves might make more sense.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

opale7000

Thanks for the tips. I will have a look at esp8266

Go Up