Go Down

Topic: 120v to nixie tubes! (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Leonidas

I want to make a nixie tube watch and i recently bought 2 in-17's and i started playing with them but i can't quite figure out how to make the arduino output of 5v go to 120-180v that the nixie tube requires... im going to use 2 74141 to control them and im going to use one shift register to give the 4 inputs for each of the 74141's. Can someone help me find out how to power these and how and where the power should be applied, please and thank you! =)

Magician

You have to buy a power supply for nixie.
Loot at :
http://www.ogilumen.com/index.php
You can get idea how to put it all together from their site.
But price too high,
I'd suggest to search in i-net, I've seen as chip as 13$ power supply for nixie.

Leonidas

Well what components go into it? anything really special i wouldn't be able to buy at an electronics store? like anything i might have to buy on ebay from russia. and i want to make my own because im going to make my own pcb. and which i-net? i've never been there and can't find the url

Magician

It's pretty simple, arduino provide a digital output
to this chip (binary-decimal decoder). and nixie + resistor + power supply
display a visual performance.
I don't think you have to buy something from russian, but
their stuff could be low in price, they have produced a astonishing quantity of
74141's. during 80's and 90's, (chips o'k after 20 years of storage, warranty more than 25 years,), , with different name, you can read it
http://www.ogilumen.com/index.php
It's "K155ID1"
What I'm saying, price 65$ for power supply too high,
you can find chipper, or if money not a question, just touch them

Leonidas

oh well yeah i understand that part, but i want to actually make it, i want to intergrate it into one of my own projects and i dont have enough space to use another chip... my question is where would you give it the hundred and somthing volts of power, to the 74141 (which i already have) or do you amplify it afterwards or how does that work?

wyager

Leonidas-the nixie tube needs at least 150 volts, 120 volts will not work. It is best to use around 170-200 volts for reliability. In order to get this voltage, you must construct a boost circuit. This is from my site documenting the nixie clock I am working on, http://sites.google.com/site/willyager/nixie-clock.

I believe an older (but working) version of the code is there, and so is a picture of the actual circuit. I have run it from both 9 and 12 volts with no problem (I don't think 5 volts will work) and it is stable with 1 or more mA of current draw. It is really just a standard boost circuit with some custom code to regulate the voltage to what I want (right now it's at 166 volts, but higher is probably better).

CrossRoads

Have you looked at the links where the flash charge circuit in a disposable camera is used to create the higher voltage?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Leonidas

isn't there a way to make the boost circuit without another microcontroller? I havent really programmed anything else but an arduino and thats kinda what i want to stick to... can i use another method to boost the power? lwith just components like a small transformer or something along those lines?

CrossRoads

Yes - that's what the disposable camera method does.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Disposibal-Camera-Nixie-Tube-Driver/

Start here & do some research.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

wyager

isn't there a way to make the boost circuit without another microcontroller? I havent really programmed anything else but an arduino and thats kinda what i want to stick to... can i use another method to boost the power? lwith just components like a small transformer or something along those lines?

Sure, if you want a crappy driver... you can use the arduino to control it pretty easily. Just do some google searching.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy