Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: More Serial ports!  (Read 3526 times)
Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Nice find - MAX3100 & MAX3232 combined into one package, along with the 10uF caps needed to make +/-10V outputs.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Faraday Member
View Profile

I've got a shield built, but never have gotten around to writing any code. smiley-neutral

In spite of the partially complete MAX3100 project, I've come to the same conclusion as others - using an Atmel chip would be cheaper. The code has to be written on both ends, though.  At least on the MAX3100 half the software is written already.  Deciphering it may or may not be easier that writing your own; YMMV.  smiley

along with the 10uF caps needed

The MAX232 IC we all know and love is now commonly found in the 232A variant from most manufacturers, and the A only needs 0.1uF caps.  Yeah, OK, it still needs 4 caps, but 0.1uF caps are small and cheap.  I've had good luck with ceramic SMTs.

-j

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Good catch. Yes, 0.1uF, not 10uF.  I have those shown on my schematic, had 10uF on the brain for some reason.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: