Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Tutorial for connecting to a USB host shield  (Read 5804 times)
Bangalore, India
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am pretty new to Arduino.

I recently bought a USB Host shield from sparkfun and want to know how to use it.

It would be nice if somebody could point me to some tutorial which explains you how to connect a usb host shield to Arduino. Thanks!

Checkout some of my Arduino projects and tutorials

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

I recently bought a USB Host shield from sparkfun and want to know how to use it.
Use it for what?

It would be nice if somebody could point me to some tutorial which explains you how to connect a usb host shield to Arduino.
Did you buy a kit or a fully assembled shield? If you have a fully assembled shield, it only fits one way. A tutorial on how to connect the shield is hardly necessary.

If you bought a kit, you should contact the supplier for instructions on how to assemble the kit.

You realize, I hope, that all the USB Host shield provides is the breakout pins necessary to connect to the wires in the USB cable. You need to write all the software necessary to interface with whatever you have connected to the USB port, and may need to add additional hardware, if whatever it is you have connected to the USB port needs additional hardware to drive it.

Bangalore, India
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I bought the shield, so that I can try connecting it to an Android phone using the microbridge library - http://code.google.com/p/microbridge/

I bought the semi-assembled kit - http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9628 I figured out that I have to use some breakout headers to connect it to Arduino and managed to connect it properly. I also used the USB Host shield library from http://www.circuitsathome.com/arduino_usb_host_shield_projects and was able to run the examples which are present in that page.

The main problem which I was facing was that, my version of the kit had a bug and I needed to configure the pins differently. Now I am working on compiling the microbridge library.

I guess I am kind of in the right track now. Thanks for the reply. smiley

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

The main problem which I was facing was that, my version of the kit had a bug and I needed to configure the pins differently.
How will reconfiguring the pins correct a hardware problem?

Bangalore, India
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Well, it's not exactly a bug. The actual problem was that the library and the hardware were not compatible.

You need to open up the library and configure the pins correctly (basically change the constant to refer to the correct pins).

The latest version of the shield from Sparkfun has this problem fixed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: