Go Down

Topic: First real project (in class). need guidance for last few details (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

lostearstudio

to clarify, I found out the exact name and model of the sensor I'm using (couldn't get to the sensor earlier). It's a Parallax PING))) Ultrasonic sensor.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/ObjectDetection/tabid/176/CategoryID/51/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/92/Default.aspx

would I be able to code this as a potentiometer and calibrate it? would this be easier to use/code this way?

liudr

Sure you can use all three. I was just suggesting the path of least resistance to get to a partial goal. You're a good planner (diagram is pretty good) so maybe your first stop is your final goal!

So get the sensors, play with them a bit. Type up some code and post back here for critique!

The parallax ping is a very popular sensor. It is not like a potentiometer. You need to talk to it to start the measurement, then listen on the same pin you talked to it for a pulse. The width of the pulse tells you distance (round trip).

Here, take a look at my codes for this car reverse obstacle sensor project:
http://liudr.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/arduino-parking-sensor/

It's got an intro to the sensor.

When you download my code, do the nutshell first. It's easy to read through and understand what I do. The full version has interactive features you don't need for your project (at least at this stage).

Let me know if you have questions!

lostearstudio

The deadline for this project have been postponed for another two weeks so I now have an excess of time to catch up on everything cause of the spring break next week! so I'll be taking a little more times between posting to be sure than I'm learning what I can before spamming this thread :-)

@ luidr, thank you for referring to that arduino programming book! I've printed out two copies and stapled/bound them up to give the extra one to my teacher so he can look it over and share it with the rest of the class. that resource is going to be extremely useful for us deaf students as we like to see a clear concise explanation of specific components like the syntaxes :-D thanks!

Sure you can use all three. I was just suggesting the path of least resistance to get to a partial goal. You're a good planner (diagram is pretty good) so maybe your first stop is your final goal!

So get the sensors, play with them a bit. Type up some code and post back here for critique!

The parallax ping is a very popular sensor. It is not like a potentiometer. You need to talk to it to start the measurement, then listen on the same pin you talked to it for a pulse. The width of the pulse tells you distance (round trip).

Here, take a look at my codes for this car reverse obstacle sensor project:
http://liudr.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/arduino-parking-sensor/

It's got an intro to the sensor.

When you download my code, do the nutshell first. It's easy to read through and understand what I do. The full version has interactive features you don't need for your project (at least at this stage).

Let me know if you have questions!

Thank you! looking over your codes :-) I'll get back here later on in the week when the classes are finishing up before the spring break :-)

lostearstudio

I'm stuck. I'm having problems understanding the power requirement of all of the components. I found out that a 9v battery can only light 3 LED in a series so I can't rewire all of the LED in time for a 16x3 LED.

I'm forced to abandon the LED grid for the moment and just focus on simply controlling one servo and one RGB LED with three ultrasonic rangefinder. I will post my codes here later on for constructive criticsm so I can fix it up and use it for my class.

see updated pic attached for more simpler circuit. (yes, I noticed that the RGB LED ground is connected to power)

liudr

You can't have 3 LEDs in series. The matrix should have rows and columns and turns on one LED at a time. You will take 33% time to turn on each one of the 3 LEDs if you want to have 3 LEDs on together. If you do it fast enough, you will think several LEDs are turned on simultaneously.

Go Up