Go Down

Topic: Current consumption UNO+Eth Shield (Read 635 times) previous topic - next topic

colbec

My batteries powering my UNO+EthShield+LED+TMP36 did not last as long as anticipated. I am using the LED as a light detector. The batteries (5) are 2300 mAH NiMh loaded into a plastic box that came with my experimenter's kit. The setup lasted 4 hours, which is surprisingly low. My sketch takes analog readings from analog pins 4 and 5 and writes to microSD every 5 minutes.

My thoughts (using data from other threads, thanks):
UNO needs ~50 mA
Shield needs ~ 150 mA
LED+TMP36 need a little more.

With multimeter in series from battery pack I get readings of 220 mA while the logger is running, and 240 mA each time it writes to the microSD. At this rate I should be getting closer to 10 hours, not 4 from the batteries. My suspicion is that my charger is not fully charging the batteries. Are there any other factors I might not be taking into account?

hobbified

Is the output from those 5 batteries in series going into the Arduino's external power input (barrel connector or GND/Vin pins)? That's the input of a linear voltage regulator that needs at least 6V, preferably a little bit more, to provide good 5V for the Arduino. NiMH batteries only have a nominal voltage of 1.2V, which adds up to 6V for the 5 of them. Granted, they run more like 1.4V when they're freshly charged, but then they drop down to 1.2V, and eventually down to 1.0V each. I wouldn't be surprised if the voltage from the battery pack is going too low to make the regulator happy long before the batteries are actually "dead".

Also: battery capacity figures are always calculated using the best possible conditions, so you should never be surprised if in the real world, mA * h is less than the rated mAh :)

colbec

Thanks Hobbified: true, batteries are in series. Voltage when fresh was 6.7, which as you say fell quickly to 6.4 and then to 6.1+ where it seemed to hang for a long time but the logging kept going. Then much later I found no lights on the unit and 3V from the batteries.

They depleted surprisingly rapidly. 4 hours is not long enough for my application, will have to go with another power supply. At least I learn that when presented with low voltage the unit did not go into hysterics, on this occasion.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy