Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
Author Topic: Cheap-Thermocam V3 | A cheap thermographic camera for everyone !  (Read 54548 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Cheap-Thermocam V3 | A cheap thermographic camera for everyone !

After some time of research I want to share with you my latest project called "Cheap-Thermocam".

The Cheap-Thermocam is a low-cost thermographic image scanner. With it you can analyse your house, electrical devices, etc. and identify for example thermal lacks.

Current FLIR cameras on the market cost a few thousand dollars. My idea was to reduce costs by using one single non-contact temperature sensor to create a thermographic image. This is done by moving the infrared sensor over the target area with two servo motors, just like a scanner. Inside the Thermocam, there is a modern ARM Cortex M3 processor. It takes about 1.5 minutes per image to take the temperatures of 3072 points. The Thermocam can measure heat signatures from -70° to 380° with an accuracy of 0.5°. It creates BMP images with a resolution of 640x480 pixel on the SD card, and you can also modify the images on any computer with a special software.

You can buy the newest version 3 either as a kit or pre-assembled. If you want to build the old version by yourself, you also find the instructions and software downloads on my website.

www.cheap-thermocam.net
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:39:30 pm by maxbot » Logged

Espoo, Finland
God Member
"Oops, try again..."
View Profile

What sort of information you get out from the device? That is so simple idea, but it never crossed my mind.

Cheers,
Kari

The only law for me; Ohms Law: U=R*I       P=U*I
Note to self: "Damn! Why don't you just fix it!!!"

Arduino rocks
View Profile

What sort of information you get out from the device? That is so simple idea, but it never crossed my mind.

Cheers,
Kari

The Arduino transmits the measured temperature of each point via the usb serial port to the JAVA programm, where they are all saved and processed.
It would also be possible to save them on a SD Card to make the device independent from the PC while measuring (plus adding a lipo or so for energy supply), but that makes the whole project more expensive.

View Profile

I like the idea and could be quite fun to play with.

I would be interested to read more  smiley

Espoo, Finland
God Member
"Oops, try again..."
View Profile

The Arduino transmits the measured temperature of each point via the usb serial port to the JAVA programm, where they are all saved and processed.
It would also be possible to save them on a SD Card to make the device independent from the PC while measuring (plus adding a lipo or so for energy supply), but that makes the whole project more expensive.

Heh, what I ment, is it serial data, analog or something else?
I formatted my question badly.

Cheers,
Kari

UK
Faraday Member
Gorm deficient
View Profile

Hugely impressed!
Congratulations!
I used to work with very expensive military thermal imagers and had a good deal of fun with them.
You've inspired me...

Per Arduino ad Astra

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks to Groove & Targettio for the positive feedback.
It's my first project withh the arduino or any other microcontroller at all, so it wasn't easy for me to learn all the required skills.

Heh, what I ment, is it serial data, analog or something else?
I formatted my question badly.

Cheers,
Kari

The sensor is a MLX90614 from Melexis (a special version with a teduced field of view), so I used one of the already existing code examples (http://interface.khm.de/index.php/lab/experiments/infrared-thermometer-mlx90614/) as a basis to talk to this ir sensor.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

The homepage is now online !

-> www.cheap-thermocam.tk

New Zealand
arduino: far too much like electrical engineering.
View Profile

Homemade IRST, that's pretty cool.
Did you consider scanning a mirror rather than the infra-red sensor?

-- Alec

Espoo, Finland
God Member
"Oops, try again..."
View Profile

Excellent point, very small mirror will do the job!

Cheers,
Kari

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Excellent point, very small mirror will do the job!

Cheers,
Kari

Do you mean i should focus the sensor on a movable mirror instead of moving the whole sensor ?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

The child in me would turn it into a heat seeking foam missile launcher  smiley-lol

Awesome project.

Espoo, Finland
God Member
"Oops, try again..."
View Profile

Your homepage is annoying, all those pop-ups...
Here's the direct youtube-link for the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fVilpSSpkDc

I don't know if there's more advantages for moving the mirror only, but the fact that there less mass to be moved for servos. Your version moves softly, and it doesn't seem to suffering about the device on it.

Cheers,
Kari

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Your homepage is annoying, all those pop-ups...
Here's the direct youtube-link for the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fVilpSSpkDc

I don't know if there's more advantages for moving the mirror only, but the fact that there less mass to be moved for servos. Your version moves softly, and it doesn't seem to suffering about the device on it.

Cheers,
Kari

Annoying ? I don't get popups and I haven't implemented any, maybe they come from the hoster .tk and I can't see them because of Adblock..
I tried the mirror version but however, it's not working with my infrared sensor at all... Otherwise it would have been a good idea.

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

I tried the mirror version but however, it's not working with my infrared sensor at all... Otherwise it would have been a good idea.

I was going to tell you to avoid this, because it wouldn't work; ordinary glass mirrors don't reflect heat (long IR). The infrared sensor you are using is a heat sensor, not a light sensor (short IR - otherwise you could use an ordinary digital camera with an IR filter - but this won't work, because it doesn't see into long IR - and is also why a real thermal imaging camera is so darn expensive).

Ah, well.

I've been trying to think how you could speed up the scan rate, and I thought about the scanning mirror idea, but because you can't find such mirrors (ok, they do exist, but they're not very cheap), that idea was out the door...

smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
Jump to: