Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
Author Topic: Cheap-Thermocam V3 | A cheap thermographic camera for everyone !  (Read 54726 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Update:
There is a new software version (2.0) which includes several new features and bugfixes.
I created a Printed Board so that no soldering will be required to build the device ( -> http://cheap-thermocam.lima-city.de/images/Board.png) and an enclosure to make it stable and nice-looking ( -> http://cheap-thermocam.lima-city.de/images/enclosure.png).
Both components will be available as soon as I have tested them for the material price of 20$ each.

View Profile

Still dont understand something, i like your thermocam, but what is the maximum celsius degree that can be possible to mesure? I saw in the datasheet of the sensor the value, i dont understand what is the different..
And other thing: this thermocam is show the degrees in live? So i can use this thing to soldering with heat gun? I can see in live how to increase the degree?

Thank you!
Janaboy

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Still dont understand something, i like your thermocam, but what is the maximum celsius degree that can be possible to mesure? I saw in the datasheet of the sensor the value, i dont understand what is the different..
And other thing: this thermocam is show the degrees in live? So i can use this thing to soldering with heat gun? I can see in live how to increase the degree?

Thank you!
Janaboy

You can measure temperatures from -70° to 370° Celsius. Objects above/under this range will have the temperature of -70° and 370°.
Concerning your second question: You can only see the temperature of one specific point live, not the whole image. The image is created by measuring a specific amount of  pixels in the measuring area one after another, just like a scanner does. But if you want to see for example how hot your soldering gun is, you can select single point measurement in the menu and then see how hot the object in front of the sensor is.

View Profile

Thank you!
Janaboy

You can measure temperatures from -70° to 370° Celsius. Objects above/under this range will have the temperature of -70° and 370°.
Concerning your second question: You can only see the temperature of one specific point live, not the whole image. The image is created by measuring a specific amount of  pixels in the measuring area one after another, just like a scanner does. But if you want to see for example how hot your soldering gun is, you can select single point measurement in the menu and then see how hot the object in front of the sensor is.

This temperature look good, but i show you exactly what i want and you will understand:

I know that camera what they use in the video, is not a cheap camera, but i'm hoping that we can solve this cheap smiley

Thank you!

View Profile

Wow!
This is exactly what I have been looking for! I was looking for something to look for thermal leaks around my doors and windows. I was wondering when the enclosue and PCB might be ready for purchase? I can't wait to build this project! Thank You very much!

Jvandive

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Wow!
This is exactly what I have been looking for! I was looking for something to look for thermal leaks around my doors and windows. I was wondering when the enclosue and PCB might be ready for purchase? I can't wait to build this project! Thank You very much!

Jvandive

As I am currently out of money (student life is expensive  smiley ), I cant test the new version of the case (with modified servo mount) and the newly created PCB at the moment :-(
If you don't want to wait 1-2 months until i become "rich", you have 2 posibilities:
I give you the order links for both and a instruction on how to put everything together (should be a lot more easier than the current building process on the website), but there may be the possible risk that the PCB is not working correct (the case should be fine anyway).
Second, you send me the material and shipping costs in advantage. I order the components for you, put everything together here and try if it works. If I find any mistakes, i will solve them and if that is not possible immediately, I order a second revision of the pcb/case and pay it on my own. At the end, I sent the whole package to your home adress.

View Profile

Maxbot,

I have already ordered most of the parts needed to build the Thermocam. I also wanted the fun of building it myself so, I guess just send me the links for the PCB and the case and I will order them. I will take the risk on the PCB not being correct.

Thank You in advance!

Jvandive

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Maxbot,

I have already ordered most of the parts needed to build the Thermocam. I also wanted the fun of building it myself so, I guess just send me the links for the PCB and the case and I will order them. I will take the risk on the PCB not being correct.

Thank You in advance!

Jvandive

pm sent. i hope everything works  smiley

View Profile

Maxbot

The new software is a big step up on the old stuff. Well done. I noticed that when there is a hot object in the view the cool objects are lost in the image because the degree difference is not enough to show up on the final display. May I suggest you put a button on the final display to re-compute and re-display the data "logarithmically" to compress it and show up the finer details if so desired. It also might be a good idea to have a custom scan resolution window so you can enter something like 5X64 for a quick scan to check for termites in the wall. That's what I'm trying to do with your scanner in my house. Every two or three years they attack it.
Anyway, great work.
Cheers
Stephen

Arduino rocks
View Profile

May I suggest you put a button on the final display to re-compute and re-display the data "logarithmically" to compress it and show up the finer details if so desired.

I currently have no time to get into this. If you have a mathematical approach how to compress the data logarithmically, I could implement it fast.

It also might be a good idea to have a custom scan resolution window so you can enter something like 5X64 for a quick scan to check for termites in the wall. That's what I'm trying to do with your scanner in my house. Every two or three years they attack it.

Good idea, I will include that in the next version.

View Profile

I came across your project and find it to be very interesting.  I'm wondering how your getting the actual image from a basic web camera without adding the necessary lense to see the the correct wavelengths?  Is what I'm seeing in the images a simulated thermal image through software?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I came across your project and find it to be very interesting.  I'm wondering how your getting the actual image from a basic web camera without adding the necessary lense to see the the correct wavelengths?  Is what I'm seeing in the images a simulated thermal image through software?

No, this would not be possible. There is no filter for seeing thermal infrared, you need an ir sensor or thermopile for this.
I only added the webcam so that you can see an optical image of the scanned area. The MLX90614 infrared sensor then moves above that area like a scanner and measures the temperatures at many points. The computer software processes those data and creates a "thermal image" by transforming temperature values into specific colours.
That means you can not get a live stream of images, each takes time for the one single sensor to get across the area.
I hope you now understand what my project is about ;-)

View Profile

I am having a problem.

I built the thermocam by following the instruction from cheap-thermocam.com

Thermal sensor works, and it measures the temp nicely.

The problem is that, when i try to take the picture, it is keep saying "wrong com-port" blahblah...

I tried to install the driver again, used another program, and when i click left, right, up, and down, servos move accordingly...

but when i try to start running the program, i'm keep having the same problem.

ANy suggestions?

View Profile

Does anyone know how to connect this thermocam using xbee? (instead of using usb cable)

Espoo, Finland
God Member
"Oops, try again..."
View Profile

Does anyone know how to connect this thermocam using xbee? (instead of using usb cable)

If you can use xbee, then you should not ask this. It is probably connected the same way as with USB.
Did I misunderstand the question?

Cheers,
Kari

The only law for me; Ohms Law: U=R*I       P=U*I
Note to self: "Damn! Why don't you just fix it!!!"

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
Jump to: