Go Down

Topic: Piezo puzzle (Read 830 times) previous topic - next topic

bssackma

Hi All,

I am brand new to the world of Arduino, and am trying to get my brain wrapped around the concept of how to best use a pizeo in a little project that I would like to build.  Essentially I want to build an impact sensor that will detect a vibration and immediately respond with a loud chirp.  I have looked through the Knock tutorial, and this seems like a reasonable approach for detecting the vibration, but my question is: could I use a single piezo buzzer to both detect the vibration AND issue the subsequent chirp alarm?  Not sure how the wiring would look, but hopefully its not too complicated.

On a similar note...how sensitive are the piezo-type sensors to ambient noise vs. physical vibrations; I assume the sensitivity is tunable across a wide range?  The build will be in a very loud environment...so I need the piezo to detect a physical vibration/knock and hopefully the sound issued by the piezo will be enough to be heard over the ambient noise...

Hopefully I have not bitten off more than I can chew in terms of my first project; any words of wisdom from folks out there?

Thanks!

Grumpy_Mike

I assume the sensitivity is tunable across a wide range?

Sorry no tuning with the sensor alone.

could I use a single piezo buzzer to both detect the vibration AND issue the subsequent chirp alarm?

Yes you could, although I am not sure how loud it would be, the sensor is a deaf microphone and a mute speaker. So that might suite you. You need a current limiting series resistor and switch between an analogue input and digital output in your code.

jcarrr

I have chopped up a number of cheapie piezo squeakers to accomplish some really unspectacular results.  I finally decided that the piezo diaphragms and the cavities in which they are rigidly mounted are probably acoustically and mass tuned.  The more I improved the things the weaker they got.  It might be possible to lower the tuned frequency with a drop of mass in the center of the diaphragm.

Every piezo hacker may not have shared this experience, but I gave them up as a bad deal.  If you can use the thing exactly as it comes out of the package, it may be good for some kind of off-label use, but given my experience don't expect great things.  If I get time to explore some more I plan to utilize automotive sensors and the matching active filter IC that TI, probably among others, makes to condition the output from the transducer.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy