Go Down

Topic: Board manager works ok in W7, is blocked in W10 (Read 270 times) previous topic - next topic

MyDogs

I tried to use the breadboard-1-6.zip to burn a Atmega328p on a breadboard as in the tutorial.
I did this on a Windows 10 PC.
At first burning seemed to work, but not the uploading. In the board manager I saw the entry "Atmega on a breadboard (8 Mhz internal clock)". Because I suspected I might have done something wrong I decided to restart from a new installation :
- uninstall Arduino and manually erase all files from "Program files"
- reinstall Arduino IDE 1.8.5

The entry "Atmega on a breadboard (8 Mhz. internal clock)" was still there !  allthough there was no more boards.txt containing that message !

So I redid the above and erased also the "Users/.../arduino   entries  : still the same thing.
Restarting the computer, nothing could give me a clean installation.
I even installed the last version of AVR boards 1.6.21 (instead of 1.6.20) . The system reported "installed" but still no change in the list of the board manager and  I  never had any error message.

Finally I gave up and tried it on a notebook with Windows 7 which has vs 1.8.5 too: not one problem !
I changed the boards.txt several times, inverted the entries and all shows up nicely in the board manager. Now I have an installation with UNO at the first place (instead of Yun), in second place a "Am328p Dogs 1MHz internal clock, 4800Bd" (that works fine) and the other entries after that.

This last test confirmed what I thougt : The board manager should display the entries that are listed in boards.txt but in the case of my windows 10 PC the board manager does not take its list from there but from somewhere else on my PC  and that cannot be changed ....

Any ideas ? (except reinstalling windows ;)

DrAzzy

May 16, 2018, 09:25 pm Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:27 pm by DrAzzy
Anything installed with board manager is installed to a different location.

To get a clean uninstall, uninstall the IDE, then delete C:/Users/YourUserName/AppData/Arduino15

If working with '328/328p on breadboard, I recommend MiniCore
 https://github.com/MCUdude/MiniCore/
ATtiny core for 841+1634+828 and x313/x4/x5/x61/x7/x8 series Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts (some assembled), mosfets and awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

pert

I tried to use the breadboard-1-6.zip to burn a Atmega328p on a breadboard as in the tutorial.
I did this on a Windows 10 PC.
At first burning seemed to work, but not the uploading. In the board manager I saw the entry "Atmega on a breadboard (8 Mhz internal clock)".
I think you're mixing up the terminology here. I really doubt you saw that in Boards Manager (Tools > Board > Boards Manager). Rather I suspect you saw that in the Tools > Board menu.

- uninstall Arduino and manually erase all files from "Program files"
- reinstall Arduino IDE 1.8.5

The entry "Atmega on a breadboard (8 Mhz. internal clock)" was still there !  allthough there was no more boards.txt containing that message !
I guess you must have forgotten the instructions you followed to install the breadboard hardware package. You installed that package to your {sketchbook folder}/hardware folder. You can find/set the location of {sketchbook folder} at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location. If you want to remove that package then you need to delete it from {sketchbook folder}/hardware and then restart the Arduino IDE.

The board manager should display the entries that are listed in boards.txt but in the case of my windows 10 PC the board manager does not take its list from there but from somewhere else on my PC  and that cannot be changed ....
The entries you see in Boards Manager come from two different places:
  • The official Arduino Boards Manager package index: https://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.json
  • Any additional Boards Manager URLs you have added to File > Preferences > Additional Boards Manager URLs.

I concur with DrAzzy about using MiniCore instead of that breadboard package.

MyDogs

Thanks for the replies.

You are right that I mean the list of the boards and not the board manager on top of that list.

Indeed the solution lies in the location of the preferences
On both computers this is "C:\Users\Username\Documents\Arduino".
For my first tests on W10 I followed the instructions to copy there the board descriptions and bootloader.

Trying to get a clean install I forgot to clean that directory manually and so that description reappeared after each install.

The "uninstall" leaves a lot of stuff in each of the directories
- C:\Users\Username\Documents\Arduino
- C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Arduino
- C:\Program Files(x86)\Arduino

Now I am figuring out how I was so lucky to have an additional board on W7 simply by replacing the boards.txt and by putting a bootloader directly into C:\Program Files(x86)\Arduino, because that seems not to work on my W10 PC.

Thanks again

ballscrewbob

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

pert

Now I am figuring out how I was so lucky to have an additional board on W7 simply by replacing the boards.txt and by putting a bootloader directly into C:\Program Files(x86)\Arduino, because that seems not to work on my W10 PC.
The Arduino IDE comes with a bundled version of Arduino AVR Boards (the hardware package of the Uno, Mega, Leonardo, etc.) located at C:\Program Files(x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr. In Arduino IDE 1.8.5 this is Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.20. If you update to a different version (such as 1.6.21) of Arduino AVR Boards that is installed to C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr and that version of Arduino AVR Boards will be used rather than the one bundled with the Arduino IDE. The bundled version of Arduino AVR Boards is still present at C:\Program Files(x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr but it's not used. So if you edit C:\Program Files(x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\boards.txt it will make no difference.

MyDogs

So if you edit C:\Program Files(x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\boards.txt it will make no difference.
This is true on my W10 PC. I can assure you it is not true on my W7 netbook. I can edit that file in the Program Files directory at will and it is reflected in the IDE when I restart it. I have UNO in first place in the boards list and in second place the 4800Bd installation (with the corresponding bootloader in the right directory of course). So I don't have to scroll down in the list. None of the directories I listed before contain a boards.txt. I wish I knew how I've done that because it is  very practical. Everything else seems to be the same on both (new 1.8.5) installations.

The editing of the original boards.txt was mentioned  somewhere on my quest for a 1 Mhz bootloader, but I don't recall where I found it. I think there exists even a Boards.txt.Editor just to do that.

pert

This is true on my W10 PC. I can assure you it is not true on my W7 netbook. I can edit that file in the Program Files directory at will and it is reflected in the IDE when I restart it.
That's because you haven't updated to a new version of Arduino AVR Boards using Boards Manager on you W7 netbook.

The editing of the original boards.txt was mentioned  somewhere on my quest for a 1 Mhz bootloader, but I don't recall where I found it. I think there exists even a Boards.txt.Editor just to do that.
Other than just for the sake of experimenting around It's not really a good idea to modify with boards.txt because every time you update to a new version your changes will be lost. It's better to just make your own custom hardware package. Better yet, use one that's already been made for you:
https://github.com/MCUdude/MiniCore

MyDogs

Thanks to you all folks

You all convinced me to turn to MiniCore, and I installed on both PC's. I'm happy.

Go Up