Go Down

Topic: Saving arrays in EEPROM using ARDUINOMEGA (Read 7099 times) previous topic - next topic

GaryP

only thing that bothers me is the short lifeline of the internal eeprom.

I thought the retention time was of the order of a century - do you plan on leaving your Arduino to your grandchildren?

Heh, no. But isn't there a limited rewrites with the eeprom? I would like to use to store online information for measurements and stats for later reading. Eeprom is quite small, but certai information need to sotred somewhere if communication with outworld is not available all the time. If device (autonomus idioticus) restarts, it need to have location and few extra data available, until it is linked to main system again.

How many times I can actually rewrite that little memory bank? I was in that belief that is limited, depending of the MCU, from hunderthousand to million times?

Cheers,
Kari
The only law for me; Ohms Law: U=R*I       P=U*I
Note to self: "Damn! Why don't you just fix it!!!"

Coding Badly

How many times I can actually rewrite that little memory bank?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?  No one knows.

Atmel guarantees 100,000 erase-writes.  In order to make that guarantee, the average part has to be able to reach a far higher number before a failure occurs.

GaryP

Yep! That average come to the end fast, so I better keep EEPROM for casual setup information, and have external memory for logs.

Heh, Tootsie Pops, we don't have them here, but I like the metaphora.

Cheers,
Kari
The only law for me; Ohms Law: U=R*I       P=U*I
Note to self: "Damn! Why don't you just fix it!!!"

Go Up