Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: built in serial to midi?  (Read 893 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,
I'm currently making a controller for VirtualDJ which uses serial to send messages to the computer. These "messages" are then converted into midi using a software on the computer and then I use it on VirtualDJ itself.
I was wondering if it is possible to remove the need for a third software somehow by sending MIDI messages directly to the computer.
If this isn't possible, is there anything else I could do?
Thanks in advance.

View Profile

If the solution you have right now works, it's probably the best one. There are other ways, but one of them involves hardware work (adding drivers to convert between TTL serial on the Arduino and the current-loop mode that conventional MIDI uses), and the other one requires one of the newest models of Arduino and makes it much more difficult to upload new sketches (reprogramming the Atmega8U2 on an Uno or a Mega2560 board to act as a USB MIDI device instead of a USB CDC ACM device). Right now you have a solution that doesn't require changing anything, so as long as it's not giving you trouble or restricting what you can do, why not stick with it?

Australia
You dont have to touch powerlines for them to kill you, even looking at them for too long will make them angry.
View Profile

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Midi

This works, I have made MIDI controllers with it and its fine. the issue is that you get non usb based MIDI so u need a MIDI in for the computer.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent di

View Profile

@hobbyfied
I am worried that if I run the third software(the serial to midi one) it might give me bad performance on a Laptop.

@ Fliggygeek
I've read that already and it's a good alternative in case I don't find any other way.The only problem is that I would then have to buy midi to USB cables for my laptop but I could live with that smiley-razz

Thanks for the answers

View Profile

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Midi

This works, I have made MIDI controllers with it and its fine. the issue is that you get non usb based MIDI so u need a MIDI in for the computer.

Eek. That may work because of tolerant hardware, but it's definitely wrong. The MIDI interface is a current-loop one and that tutorial is voltage-driving it. On the transmit side the worst that's likely to cause is that it just plain won't work, but if the device on the other end tries to send a response back and it has a particularly strong driver, and the arduino's resistance is too high, it could fry the arduino handily.

View Profile

@hobbified
It is only going to send midi notes to a computer. Is it sure it's going to fry my arduino?

View Profile

Eek. That may work because of tolerant hardware, but it's definitely wrong. The MIDI interface is a current-loop one and that tutorial is voltage-driving it. On the transmit side the worst that's likely to cause is that it just plain won't work, but if the device on the other end tries to send a response back and it has a particularly strong driver, and the arduino's resistance is too high, it could fry the arduino handily.

The only difference between that circuit and the MIDI spec is a single 220 ohm resistor:

http://www.midi.org/techspecs/electrispec.php

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: