Go Down

Topic: robot positioning technic and solution (Read 504 times) previous topic - next topic

lucandut

i`m going to create a robot that able to map the surroundings and of course i need to know the exact position of my robot. is there any suggestion how to know the position of the robot beside using an optical encoders?

thanks for the info...

karlscha

AWOL

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

cr0sh

i`m going to create a robot that able to map the surroundings and of course i need to know the exact position of my robot. is there any suggestion how to know the position of the robot beside using an optical encoders?

thanks for the info...

Well - before you can answer that question you need to know what kind of environment the robot will be operating in...

You might want to look into SLAM (Simultaneous Localization and Mapping):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_localization_and_mapping

In short, there isn't a single sensor that will work for your needs; you're going to have to employ tons of sensors, from optical wheel encoders, to GPS, to potentially various kinds of distance measurement sensors (IR, ultrasonic, laser, etc), and even possibly machine vision techniques.
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

lucandut

How about a resolver?

what is a resolver by the way??

thanks for the info...

Well - before you can answer that question you need to know what kind of environment the robot will be operating in...

You might want to look into SLAM (Simultaneous Localization and Mapping):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_localization_and_mapping

In short, there isn't a single sensor that will work for your needs; you're going to have to employ tons of sensors, from optical wheel encoders, to GPS, to potentially various kinds of distance measurement sensors (IR, ultrasonic, laser, etc), and even possibly machine vision techniques.

i've see the link you gave, and i`m not 100% understand about the SLAM, and according to what i understand it uses many complicated technic such as kalman filter and other and I don't understand any of it... I also aware that I would never accomplish this by only 1 sensor..

the environment that the robot will walk is 2Dimensional environment.. i've done the positioning using optical wheel encoder and somehow it has some errors and i want to find another method of positioning..

the other method that I try is using mouse coordinate system. it works better than optical encoders since the coordinates system is more accurate than accumulating pulses.

is the any other method that anyone can suggest?

Go Up