Go Down

Topic: exit status 'dht' does not name a type (Read 696 times) previous topic - next topic

avvy66

i have been away for a week, and now a suitable reply.

First you suggested / told / inferred that I did not install the library the correct way, but when asked what was the correct way, you declined to answer me.

Then you told me a few days later that the code compiled ok after you removed the error. I asked you what was the error, but again you declined to answer or tell me what it was..

Maybe it is you that you clearly don't know what you are doing.

If you don't know what you are doing why do you waste people's time with half cocked answers.

AWOL

Jun 23, 2018, 07:53 pm Last Edit: Jun 23, 2018, 07:53 pm by AWOL
If you don't know what you are doing why do you waste people's time with half cocked answers.
If you don't know what you're doing, why are you wasting your own time posting in a section clearly marked "For problems with Arduino itself, NOT your project"?
"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

avvy66

To the mod who removed my post:

I see your point but why didn't you take the same action agains leee488 who wasted my time also.

Bias methinks

AWOL

To the mod who removed my post:
None of your posts have been removed.
I see your point but why didn't you take the same action agains leee488 who wasted my time also.

Bias methinks

Please explain.
Take all the time you need.
"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

avvy66

Ok, there are many derivities, but I'll try to keep it simple.

After my initial post with the included code ieee488 asked:

What procedure did you follow to include the DHT library?

My reply:
I downloaded the Arduino DHT master library, then extracted it into the Arduino-1.8.5 library directory.

By your question, I guess that I have not done it correctly!

ieee488 replied:
You are correct.  :-)

I then asked:
So how should I install downloaded libraries to the Arduino IDE library directory.

I also replied here:
When I googled how to install downloaded library files to Arduino, there were many links just saying they could be manually added or added from a zip.

Ok so what have I done wrong if that is the case.

ieee488
Which library?

Properly written libraries can be added from the IDE.
If not, add it manually.

AWOL Please note:
ieee488 did not tell me how to install the libraries even after I asked how.

So I added:
As I use linux, I found on Adafruits website that the library folder for Ardiuno is under the sketchbook folder. so I have copied the relevant libraries to the sketchbook/library folder.

I still get the same error

My reply again:
The libarary was the arduino-DHT-master, and I just extracted it from a zip file into the arduino library. But you said that I did not install it properly or the correct way, so which is the correct way.

It still leaves me with the original problem of dht does not name a type

ieee488 asked:
Edit: where did  #include <DHT.h> in first line come from ?

None of the examples for that library has it!

ieee488 replied:
I was able to compile your sketch just fine after fixing the error.

I am on Linux Mint 18.

My question:
Well what was the error ? Please tell.
Use the original example sketch.

Do not make changes unless you know what you are doing which you clearly don't.

ieee488 replied:
Use the original example sketch.

Do not make changes unless you know what you are doing which you clearly don't.

So you can see that I did not rreceive and answers on the problem I have from ieee488, as he seems to have just strung me along. So I told him he was a time waster

AWOL:
I have seen that other members of the forum also have posted question to do with projects, but yet you castigate me for doing the same.!

avvy66

Jun 26, 2018, 09:52 am Last Edit: Jun 26, 2018, 09:53 am by avvy66

AWOL:
 I would be grateful for a reply from you.

AWOL

I'm not entirely sure what I'm responding to, or what I will do with gratitude, but, please, consider this a response.

avvy66

Jun 26, 2018, 09:04 pm Last Edit: Jun 26, 2018, 09:07 pm by avvy66
I'm not entirely sure what I'm responding to, or what I will do with gratitude, but, please, consider this a response.
Ok thanks for that, but I would like to know why I have been castigated for asking about a project, and yet others have not.
Also, dd you read all of the posts in this thread, and if you did, then you can see why ieee488 was wasting my time.

Now I see in the main section 'Installation and Troubleshooting' does say 'NOT for projects.

Is there anywhere in this forum where I could ask for help for my project.

Thanks

AWOL

Ok I don't see castigation (people I castigate know when they've been castigated, and usually stay castigated), I see chiding.

You were chided because you complained that another user was wasting your time, when all along, it was you who was the time-waster - I had to spend my time moving the thread from an inappropriate section.
You are perfectly welcome to ask questions about your projects, but we would appreciate a little forethought  (read the section headers)) and consideration for others.

I didn't see any time-wasting from Ieee488, I saw information gathering

Sunnytec

try to include it with quotes:
Code: [Select]
#include "DHT.h"

did it work?

Go Up