Go Down

Topic: Garbled Serial on 328Pro Mini 5v (Read 609 times) previous topic - next topic

Utoto

Ciao all,

I have a simple sketch on a Mega 1280 that turns on 2 different LEDs via switches or via Serial chars.

It works with Mega, but, with 2 different 328 Pro Minis, it uploads, but, will not communicate via serial. Only with the switches.

Any ideas?

Utoto

Uh oh.

I found the issue, but, don't like the answer.

Apparently, even though the sketch is using 9600 Baud, the Serial term in Arduino needs to be 19200 Baud. When I send in 19200, I get proper coms to both 328's.

Has anybody else had this issue? I can't believe I'm really this special.

MarkT

These will be 8MHz Pro Minis then?  The sketch ought to compile correctly though...
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Utoto

Nope. 16MHz.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9218

I am thinking it might not be the sketch, but, the FTDI/USB board that is used between the Ard and the cpu. Perhaps a bad driver. 

OH! Also, I run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on ACER Aspire One. Arduino is installed natively as well, not, via wine.

tim7

I am thinking it might not be the sketch, but, the FTDI/USB board that is used between the Ard and the cpu. Perhaps a bad driver. 

Can you use your Mega1280 board to test the serial output coming from the Pro-Mini?

mellis

Which version of Arduino are you using?  Older versions didn't reset the double-speed serial bit, which was enabled by the bootloader on the Pro Mini.  Try 0022.

If that doesn't help, it sounds like you've got an 16 MHz board running sketches that were compiled for a 8 MHz board.  Are you sure you selected the right entry from the Tools > Boards menu?

Utoto

Thx to all for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, I have wasted all your time.

I had uploaded via 328ProMini 3.3v 8MHz. 

I am using 328ProMini 5v 16MHz.

So, now uploading as Duemilanove or UNO w/328, serial is correct.

I have been using my Mega for quite a while instead of my 328's and forgot.

My apologies.

Go Up