Go Down

Topic: esp8266 intercommunication  (Read 736 times) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

I would.

Mainly because I found uploading code to ESP-8266 more complicated than to an Arduino because of having to short one of the ESP8266 pins and pull-up resistors. I speak from experience with the ESP-01. Maybe it was just me.
Sorry if I am being more dense than usual but I'm not sure from that what sort of additional message you want me to include.

I don't plan to extend the tutorial to explain how to set up an ESP8266 for programming.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Steverobey

I'm trying to figure out if the OP is working with ESP-01's or if they have moved to an ESP8266 board? The 8266 can be programmed using the Arduino IDE, but there's a little bit of manual setup involved.

If you have not yet worked out how to upload to the ESP8266 board from the Arduino IDE, follow this tutorial:
Program ESP8266 with Arduino IDE

The boards I ended up with from Amazon turned out to be knock-offs, so none of my computers will communicate with them through the USB port on the board. So I have to use a USB to serial adapter connected to RX/TX pins on the board. Additionally, I have to press the flash button, hold that down and press/release the reset button and then release the flash button to put my boards into program mode. I'ts kind of inconvenient but it works.

There's an additional bit of software you can add to your Arduino IDE that will let you upload files to the SPIFFS on your ESP8266 board. For info on that, follow this link and read the readme.md..
ESP8266 Filesystem Upload

So back to the question (I think) of how to communicate between modules without the need of an internet connection, well all you need is wifi, since that's what makes these boards popular. So I would suggest having the main board function as an access point. The modules out in the garden that want to communicate with this main board can connect directly to it that way. No need for an internet connection, or even a wireless router.

This can be expanded on a great deal, but instead, let me share something I was reading yesterday, where a farmer monitored soil moisture over a very large area using lots of ESP8266 boards. There are some pretty basic code examples as well, but I have not tried them, only read through the code to gain my own understanding of how it functions.
ESP8266 communication

I want to plug this beginner's guide as a "See also" as it covers a lot of other cool things you can do with these boards. I'm still going through and back through this guide to learn more. I think my Arduino boards may be wondering if I have forgotten about them at this point.
A beginner's guide to the ESP8266

Lastly, a project on Instructables that I have referred back to for inspiration a few times, maybe it will give others some inspiration as well.
ESP8266 Soil Moisture Sensor With Arduino IDE

Robin2

well all you need is wifi, since that's what makes these boards popular. So I would suggest having the main board function as an access point. The modules out in the garden that want to communicate with this main board can connect directly to it that way.
That will work but IMHO using ESP-NOW is even simpler.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ieee488

Additionally, I have to press the flash button, hold that down and press/release the reset button and then release the flash button to put my boards into program mode. I'ts kind of inconvenient but it works.

The ESP modules require this for them to be programmed.

It isn't news!

Steverobey

The ESP modules require this for them to be programmed.

It isn't news!
If you're programming the board using the attached USB port, they're supposed to automatically reset or at least this was my understanding of it. What I was trying to point out with the boards that I have, the onboard USB port is completely useless for anything besides providing power to the board. It's supposed to be a serial interface but it's not recognized by any system running a new operating system. Are you finding that they work under say Windows 7 or some legacy Linux distributions?

To go a step further with this, OTA doesn't even work on any of the boards I have. I've bought from different sellers, allegedly from different manufacturers and with every one of them, the only way I can communicate with the board is directly connecting to the TX/RX using a USB to serial adapter. I've even gone hunting around for some sort of driver for these boards and nothing has worked. Nothing shows up in device manager, nothing shows up when running various command line queries under Linux.

Maybe I'm missing something here?

Robin2

Maybe I'm missing something here?
If you have a question about using your own ESP8266 boards please start your own Thread and give details of the exact ESP8266 devices that you have.

If you have some suggestions to help @tjmanana then this is the place

...R

Go Up