Go Down

Topic: Dimming an Array of LEDs (Read 599 times) previous topic - next topic

BINKSY1973

Hi all,

I am wanting to dim a array of 3w leds wired in series via a led driver, The led driver will be powered using a 24v power source. The led driver im thinking of using has the use of  A low frequency PWM signal can be used to dim the LEDs. So can the PWM outputs of the Ardunio be connected straight to the PWM pin on the led driver without the use of transistors and resistors? I know i will need a 10 to 12v power supply for the Ardunio as well. Do all the grounds of both power supplys and the Ardunio need to be connected together?

Cheers Gordon.

neurostar

The led driver im thinking of using has the use of  A low frequency PWM signal can be used to dim the LEDs

Do you know exact name of the LED driver and PWM frequency range?

So can the PWM outputs of the Ardunio be connected straight to the PWM pin on the led driver without the use of transistors and resistors?

If you use 500Hz or 1KHz PWM pin from Arduino, you may still need a mosfet to get full range of dimming. Otherwise you can adjust PWM frequency of Arduino.

Do all the grounds of both power supplys and the Ardunio need to be connected together?

Highly likely Yes. need to know the LED driver though.

You may find my post useful. It is about PWM frequency on power LED driver.
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,51887.msg390972.html#msg390972

Grumpy_Mike

I know i will need a 10 to 12v power supply for the Ardunio as well. Do all the grounds of both power supplys and the Ardunio need to be connected together?

You can't power the arduino with 12v an expect to get a 12v signal out of it. All you will actually get is smoke.
You need to use a transistor to increase the output voltage signal.

Go Up