Go Down

Topic: low cost, low profile female headers? (Read 395 times) previous topic - next topic

PeterPan321

Just curious, is there any problem with clipping off the male pins so they are shorter? (Cause I have done this where a board (Adafruit Trinket MO) stuck up too far for the enclosure lid.)
Yep! I've done that a lot too. In fact I remember being glad I finally found a diagonal cutter with a narrow enough tip to get between pins. So if I did find the low profile sockets like I linked, I'd be happy to trim the pins if necessary. But the companies making those all seem to want a lot of $. If you're like me, the high prices some companies put on connectors (3M is one of the worst) is sufficiently aggravating, its become another reason I buy from China so often these days.

ChrisTenone

Yep! I've done that a lot too. In fact I remember being glad I finally found a diagonal cutter with a narrow enough tip to get between pins. So if I did find the low profile sockets like I linked, I'd be happy to trim the pins if necessary. But the companies making those all seem to want a lot of $. If you're like me, the high prices some companies put on connectors (3M is one of the worst) is sufficiently aggravating, its become another reason I buy from China so often these days.
I cut and glued chip sockets to get the shorties I needed.
I don't got to show you no stinkin' signature.

PeterPan321

I cut and glued chip sockets to get the shorties I needed.
You know, I had hoped to do that to, as I have plenty of low profile IC sockets from the "good old days" when a lot of EPROM ICs were in use. But I felt like I could not force in the NANO boards, with the typically supplied, without feeling like I was going to stress the board and probably break connections. I guess those sockets were just meant for the much thinner pins that ICs use.

ChrisTenone

The square hole sockets seem to hold the trinket pins (just standard pins) just fine. I cut the socket in half to accommodate the exact width.
I don't got to show you no stinkin' signature.

Go Up