Go Down

Topic: low cost, low profile female headers? (Read 562 times) previous topic - next topic

PeterPan321

Just curious, is there any problem with clipping off the male pins so they are shorter? (Cause I have done this where a board (Adafruit Trinket MO) stuck up too far for the enclosure lid.)
Yep! I've done that a lot too. In fact I remember being glad I finally found a diagonal cutter with a narrow enough tip to get between pins. So if I did find the low profile sockets like I linked, I'd be happy to trim the pins if necessary. But the companies making those all seem to want a lot of $. If you're like me, the high prices some companies put on connectors (3M is one of the worst) is sufficiently aggravating, its become another reason I buy from China so often these days.

ChrisTenone

Yep! I've done that a lot too. In fact I remember being glad I finally found a diagonal cutter with a narrow enough tip to get between pins. So if I did find the low profile sockets like I linked, I'd be happy to trim the pins if necessary. But the companies making those all seem to want a lot of $. If you're like me, the high prices some companies put on connectors (3M is one of the worst) is sufficiently aggravating, its become another reason I buy from China so often these days.
I cut and glued chip sockets to get the shorties I needed.
I'm not disparaging the differently abled. It's just that thirty years of community college has literally made me mentally retarded.

PeterPan321

I cut and glued chip sockets to get the shorties I needed.
You know, I had hoped to do that to, as I have plenty of low profile IC sockets from the "good old days" when a lot of EPROM ICs were in use. But I felt like I could not force in the NANO boards, with the typically supplied, without feeling like I was going to stress the board and probably break connections. I guess those sockets were just meant for the much thinner pins that ICs use.

ChrisTenone

The square hole sockets seem to hold the trinket pins (just standard pins) just fine. I cut the socket in half to accommodate the exact width.
I'm not disparaging the differently abled. It's just that thirty years of community college has literally made me mentally retarded.

Go Up