Go Down

Topic: thoughts on Machine learning (Read 2845 times) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

I don't think this accident condemned AI, or even driverless cars. It showed that the humans at Uber who made the robot made mistakes.
Interesting. I had always assumed Uber was just testing stuff for Google or Ford or whoever.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Delta_G

Interesting. I had always assumed Uber was just testing stuff for Google or Ford or whoever.

...R
Uber has (or had) their own autonomous vehicle program.  They were sort of known in that community as renegades who were more concerned with success than safety if I'm to believe what I hear in the media.  They were the risk takers of the bunch.   They moved all their testing to AZ because in CA they were getting hit with safety regulations and the AZ governor promised to stay out of their way. 
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

ChrisTenone

Uber has (or had) their own autonomous vehicle program.  They were sort of known in that community as renegades who were more concerned with success than safety if I'm to believe what I hear in the media.  They were the risk takers of the bunch.   They moved all their testing to AZ because in CA they were getting hit with safety regulations and the AZ governor promised to stay out of their way. 
The AZ legislature is reconsidering that.
I'm not disparaging the differently abled. It's just that thirty years of community college has literally made me mentally retarded.

Robin2

Another (more dismal) thought on driverless cars ...

Their development will almost certainly give rise to new technology and techniques that will be used for all sorts of other purposes - some of which may not be benign. It seems likely that the vision technology could be very helpful for covert surveillance.

And, (in the same vein of good ideas being used for bad purposes) what sort of answer will ALEXA or SIRI give when asked "who should I vote for?"

And will the computers behind Alexa and Siri keep track of users' voting preferences?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Henry_Best

And will the computers behind Alexa and Siri keep track of users' voting preferences?
Cambridge Analytica already does that.

Qdeathstar

i think asking alexa who to vote for would result in better decisions being made about who to vote for.

A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Delta_G

Jun 24, 2018, 06:04 pm Last Edit: Jun 24, 2018, 06:05 pm by Delta_G
i think asking alexa who to vote for would result in better decisions being made about who to vote for.

She could just tell half the people one thing and half the people the opposite and we'd be right where we are now.  These days you only need to change a few votes for a party to completely take over the government.

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

Robin2

It's all very well to make jokes about asking a computer for voting advice - but it could easily happen and the real effect would be far from funny.

...R

Delta_G

Jun 24, 2018, 07:13 pm Last Edit: Jun 24, 2018, 07:14 pm by Delta_G
It's all very well to make jokes about asking a computer for voting advice - but it could easily happen and the real effect would be far from funny.

...R
How would it be any different from what the media does with the brainless masses right now?  They get half to vote one way and half to vote the other.  It leaves """democracy""" in the hands of the few. 

ChrisTenone

Doesn't Facebook already do that?
I'm not disparaging the differently abled. It's just that thirty years of community college has literally made me mentally retarded.

Robin2

How would it be any different from what the media does with the brainless masses right now?
Maybe I have this all wrong but it seems to me what the media does is publicly visible but the influence of something like Alexa or Siri would be more personal and consequently more likely to be taken seriously.

In my Rose Tinted World if something like Alexa or Siri was asked a political question it would respond with "That is a political question. I am not permitted to answer it"

...R

Delta_G

Jun 24, 2018, 08:08 pm Last Edit: Jun 24, 2018, 08:09 pm by Delta_G
It's exactly why I strongly support IQ tests in order to obtain the right to vote.  You should have to show a basic understanding of what the F is going on in the world before we let you help decide how to run it.  The kind of people who would take voting advise from Siri shouldn't be allowed to vote in the first place.

ardly

.... And I see lots of environmental advantages from driverless cars.
Driverless cars are likely to have both positive and negative impacts. It is hard and expensive to get parked in a city. If my car id driverless I can just tell it to go away and come back for me when I call it - that is not going to do much for traffic congestion or the environment.
Of course people will soon realise that driverless cars are going to obey speed limits and will not run them down. That means they will just walk onto roads and the cars will stop. The end result will be streets being redesigned to have more segregation between people and vehicles. In some ways a good thing, but not very environmentally friendly.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley

Robin2

Jun 25, 2018, 12:09 pm Last Edit: Jun 25, 2018, 12:10 pm by Robin2
If my car id driverless I can just tell it to go away and come back for me when I call it
In my vision of the driverless-car-world nobody will bother to own a car. They will just call one up whenever they need one. And they could have a 2-seater one day or an 8 seater another day. And maybe choose the colour to suit their mood or their clothes.

So when you send the car away it might do a job for someone else and the car that picks you up later could be a different vehicle.

I see no reason why you couldn't hire a car for several hours - but I guess that would cost more so you would only do it when essential.

...R

Delta_G

I think that's what Uber has been up to this whole time.  The gig driver thing must be a total PITA to run a company on.  But it gets them positioned as soon as the driverless cars are ready so they can ditch the drivers and already have everything else in place. 

Go Up