Go Down

Topic: Motors to H-Bridge Problem (Read 897 times) previous topic - next topic

BrianBot

Alright, here is a simple program that isn't working as it should and I have no idea why.

I have hooked a motor to an H-Bridge and placed pins 5 (PD3) and 6 (PD4) to my ATmega328 (from the UNO) to the logic of the H-Bridge and placed pin 3 (PD1) to the enable of the H-Bridge. Now, the idea is to PWM the enable of the H-Bridge while the Arduino pins 5 & 6 control the direction the motor will spin.

The PWM works fine (the motor spins faster and slower over time), but it spins only in one direction and I have no idea why. Here is a simple program that I made for testing:

Code: [Select]
//Motor Through H-Bridge Test
void driveMotor(int);

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  delay(100);

pinMode(5, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(6, OUTPUT);
}//end setup()

void loop() {
  for (int i = -250; i <= +250; i += 25 ) {
    driveMotor(i);
    delay(100);
  }//end for
}//end loop()

void driveMotor(int torque)  {
  //pins 5 and 6 go to logic of H-Bridge.
  if (torque >= 0)  {// drive motors forward
    digitalWrite(5, LOW);
    digitalWrite(6, HIGH);

} else if (torque < 0) { // drive motors backward
    digitalWrite(6, LOW);
    digitalWrite(5, HIGH);

torque = abs(torque); //turn value pos.
  }//end if

analogWrite(3,torque); //PWM to enable of H-Bridge
}//end driveMotor()

This is part of a balancing robot that I'm working on, so... help?

Thanks.
Brian

BrIDo

Is it a bought H Bridge motor driver, or one you've made yourself?
What sort of motors are you using? Voltage, current rating etc?
Also, might help if you post a schematic of your circuitry.

I'm still new to all this myself to be honest, but providing the above information will make it easier for folk to help...

One thing I would say, have you tested your setup with a simpler program e.g. one that just brings the logic levels high and low for a period of time? Then you would know if the problem is in the program or in the wiring...

zoomkat

Hqave you tried operating the h-bridge without the arduino to see if it works?
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   8)

BrianBot

Mar 16, 2011, 02:22 am Last Edit: Mar 16, 2011, 02:35 am by BrianBot Reason: 1
I know the problem isn't my H-Bridge, because when I physically put the bridge logic to HIGH and LOW, then the motors spin in a certain direction and when I reverse to LOW and HIGH the motors spin in the opposite direction (as it's suppose to). The problem is in the ATmega328 isn't sending the signal as I would expect and want to know if it's a coding error.

Thanks, though. I shall attempt to throw a schematic up there, too.

Oh, the H-Bridge is purchased and is the L298.

BrianBot

Mar 16, 2011, 02:34 am Last Edit: Mar 16, 2011, 02:50 am by BrianBot Reason: 1
As requested, here is the schematic:

cr0sh

Hmm - the only thing that I see odd with your code is the "+250" in the comparison of the for loop; normally you would just use "250":

for (int i = -250; i <= 250; i += 25 ) {

...I am not sure if that is necessarily causing the issue. What happens if you change the code to:

for (int i = -250; i <= 0; i += 25 ) {

...also:

for (int i = 0; i <= 250; i += 25 ) {

I guess I am wondering which side of the zero point the issue is happening on.

I had something like this happen to me once on a 2n3055 TO-3 transistor h-bridge I had made, but that was due to a faulty alligator clip (needed clips to connect the collectors together); this isn't the issue in your case, though - obviously...

:)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

BenF

You need to check your port to pin assignments. In Arduino land, PD1 is digital pin 1 and PD4 is digital pin 4 (rather than the physical package pins 5 and 6 as used in your sketch).

Here's the full list for AtMega 168/328:

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/PinMapping168

BrianBot

You need to check your port to pin assignments. In Arduino land, PD1 is digital pin 1 and PD4 is digital pin 4 (rather than the physical package pins 5 and 6 as used in your sketch).

Yes, you were very much correct; the problem was my pins. apparently when declaring:
     pinMode(5, OUTPUT);
the 5 refers to PD5 and not pin 5.

I'm shocked I made it this far without knowing this. Perhaps I did know it in the past and am just too stupid to remember. Either way, thank you very much for the help.

cr0sh

Yes, you were very much correct; the problem was my pins. apparently when declaring:
    pinMode(5, OUTPUT);
the 5 refers to PD5 and not pin 5.

I'm shocked I made it this far without knowing this. Perhaps I did know it in the past and am just too stupid to remember. Either way, thank you very much for the help.

Glad you sorted it out, but I wasn't aware that the labels on the diagram had anything to do with the code; from your description, you seemed fairly confident it was the code, not the hardware, so I made the (wrong) assumption that your code was configure properly for the hardware, and the hardware was hooked up properly. Hmm - next time you post something like this, you should post your -entire- schematic (all parts and connections) included, along with your complete code (which you did); it would save all of us time.

:)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Go Up