Go Down

Topic: Feature request: Serial monitor should interpret ANSI sequences (Read 439 times) previous topic - next topic

gregorss

Hi there!

Since debugging I often use serial output. Who doesn't.

And since the serial monitor doesn't interpret ANSI sequences I often have to switch between the IDE and a terminal program (minicom in my case).

This is often very time consuming and also distracting.

Are there any plans to implement the missing feature?

TIA

Gregor
Wenn man keine Probleme hat, kann man sich welche machen („Großes Lötauge", Medizinmann der M3-Hopi)
Nicht lange fackeln, lass' Backen wackeln! (Seeed)

Robin2

I never switch between the Serial Monitor and minicom. I only use minicom.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

gregorss

I never switch between the Serial Monitor and minicom. I only use minicom.
So please tell me how it is possible to edit a sketch by using minicom only.

Thanks!

Gregor
Wenn man keine Probleme hat, kann man sich welche machen („Großes Lötauge", Medizinmann der M3-Hopi)

Whandall

The same way you do it with the serial monitor only, you just don't do it.

BTW how do you launch the serial monitor without the IDE?
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. (D.Adams)

Robin2

You can use the IDE to edit code without using the Serial Monitor.

However I do all my editing with Geany

I have written a simple Python program to compile and upload using the command-line IDE. The Python program converts relative references to absolute references.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

gregorss

You can use the IDE to edit code without using the Serial Monitor.
That's true but if I switch to minicom I have to close the IDE. If I don't minicom doesn't receive anything.

However I do all my editing with Geany

I have written a simple Python program to compile and upload using the command-line IDE. The Python program converts relative references to absolute references.
I will check that. Thank you!

Gregor

Robin2

That's true but if I switch to minicom I have to close the IDE. If I don't minicom doesn't receive anything.
Just now I loaded the analog read serial example into the IDE and uploaded it to an Uno. I then viewed the output in the Serial Monitor.

Then I closed the Serial Monitor, but not the IDE, and viewed the output in minicom.

...R

gregorss

Just now I loaded the analog read serial example into the IDE and uploaded it to an Uno. I then viewed the output in the Serial Monitor.
Then I closed the Serial Monitor, but not the IDE, and viewed the output in minicom.
I apologize. Some system update seems to have changed how my computer behaves. It works for me now.

Regards,

Gregor

westfw

if I switch to minicom I have to close the IDE.
You just have to make sure that minicom and the IDE don't try to access the serial port at the same time
The Serial monitor is "tightly coupled" to the IDE (a relatively recent modification, BTW), so it can automatically drop access during upload, while if you use minicom you have to stop/start minicom manually  (although, being a good, old-fashioned application, starting minicom probably isn't any slower than starting the serial monitor.)

gregorss

... although, being a good, old-fashioned application, starting minicom probably isn't any slower than starting the serial monitor.
Speed wasn't any problem. The problem was that I had to close the IDE prior to use minicom. And that was really annoying (distracting).

Regards,

Gregor

westfw

The problem was that I had to close the IDE prior to use minicom.
That has not been my experience...

Go Up