Go Down

Topic: High Speed photography with Arduino (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

noxasdj

Hey community!

Wouldn't it be great to freeze time at the exact moment to see a rain drop create splash? Every day little things like this surround us and most of the time we don't even realize, most of the time because they happen at such a high speed we can't see them.

We decided to rig up a sensor that would detect the exact moment when the drop created the splash. We pointed a laser light at a Light Dependent Resistor so that it would read its maximum value. As soon as the drop would cut the beam, the LDR would read a different value and that would trigger the picture. But the problem is, it happens at such a high speed, the camera's shutter didn't have time to operate. To fix that we did the experiment in a dark room, and set the camera in "bulb" mode, which means the shutter opens as long as the button is pressed. Then it was a case of rigging it up to the flashes and we had it.

The procedure was: lights off, camera on, FLASH!, camera off, lights on, WOW!

We did the same for the balloon by setting up a microphone that would pick up the peak when the balloon popped, triggering the picture.

We had a great time, made a real mess but definitely ended up with some really cool pictures!

Here I leave you the video of how we did it. I hope you'll enjoy it!

alexhb

wow, that's kind of eerie! I just did the exact same thing about a month ago, with milk and a pair of scissors to get the camera to focus on the right spot.  :P Very cool!
"#define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))  - Shakespeare."

Grumpy_Mike

Well done.  :)

However:-
LDRs are very slow and so there is an added delay built in. Better use a photo transistor or photo diode.

CowJam

Well done.  :)

However:-
LDRs are very slow and so there is an added delay built in. Better use a photo transistor or photo diode.

I did this last year with a laser and LDR.  I had to introduce a delay so it was timed properly - the speed of the LDR didn't hamper it at all.  What did hamper it was having to get the autofocus-only camera to focus, arm the flash, turn the light off, arm the arduino and drop the thing all in a rather cramped bathroom (the only windowless room I have).

Go Up