Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: LCD wraps output to 1 or 2 columns  (Read 1934 times)
Espoo, Finland
God Member
"Oops, try again..."
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Don,
Hmm, this doesn't belong here really, but is that playground full of not well tested and possibly bad instructions? Anybody can send their creations there and look like it's made by someone who looks like he/she knows what they are saying? That's not good...

Cheers,
Kari

The only law for me; Ohms Law: U=R*I       P=U*I
Note to self: "Damn! Why don't you just fix it!!!"

Arduino rocks
View Profile

And anyone can post anything in the Arduino forum.  smiley-wink

I wouldn't use the same pin number for both Tx and Rx.
Ok, I'll try that later. (I doubt it will help, since this used to work fine. But it's worth a try I guess.)

Are you sure that the compiler is doing the logical operations the way that you expect it to?
Why, is the arduino compiler known for such bugs? I didn't check the generated assembly (is there an easy way to do that with the Arduino tools?) if you mean that. I'm fairly certain the code is correct though.

I would start out by sending the specific numbers that the Sparkfun controller is expecting.
I already did that in the second post (after you asked me to  smiley-wink) and it made no difference.

Don't bet on it.  Read the datasheet - including the notes.
That quote is from the datasheet actually. I don't see any other information about initialization. (But I'm not sure what I would be looking for.)

Well, apparently that site is unreliable. smiley-wink
Also the code in that library looks really equivalent, except that it uses HardwareSerial.h instead of SoftwareSerial.h.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:30:30 pm by no245 » Logged

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Are you sure that the compiler is doing the logical operations the way that you expect it to?
Why, is the arduino compiler known for such bugs? I didn't check the generated assembly (is there an easy way to do that with the Arduino tools?) if you mean that. I'm fairly certain the code is correct though.
They aren't bugs, they are more like quirks.  The people who coded the compiler meant one thing and the people using it interpret things differently.  Kind of like operating system menus or error messages.  Take a look through the avrfreaks forum sometimes and see how many of the professional programmers there are beating their brains out trying to get the compiler to do what they intended.

Don't bet on it.  Read the datasheet - including the notes.
That quote is from the datasheet actually. I don't see any other information about initialization. (But I'm not sure what I would be looking for.)
Find the quote in the datasheet (p.23) and then look at the note directly below it, in the middle of the page. 
Note:    If the electrical characteristics conditions listed under the table Power Supply Conditions Using
         Internal Reset Circuit are not met, the internal reset circuit will not operate normally and will fail to
         initialize   the   HD44780U.   For   such   a   case,   initial-ization   must   be   performed   by   the   MPU   as
         explained in the section, Initializing by Instruction.

Follow the LCD initialization link at http://web.alfredstate.edu/weimandn for a complete explanation.

Don

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Don,
Hmm, this doesn't belong here really, but is that playground full of not well tested and possibly bad instructions? Anybody can send their creations there and look like it's made by someone who looks like he/she knows what they are saying? That's not good...

Cheers,
Kari

It's not bad either - you just have to be skeptical.  It would be nice if only experienced programmers who have thoroughly tested their projects posted them in the playground but I don't think that is always the case.  I believe that with a resource like this they are relying on the Arduino community as a whole to make any necessary corrections but most of the playground readers probably do not feel that they are experienced enough to correct something that has been posted there by someone else.

Don

Espoo, Finland
God Member
"Oops, try again..."
View Profile

I think I didn't really get the structure of the playground, I realized that it has ton of links around, where code actually are, and there's a chance to comment them pros and cos.

So, just have to be patient and test the code that might be usable for your application, if problems exists, then the forum is here waiting.
 smiley

Cheers,
Kari

The only law for me; Ohms Law: U=R*I       P=U*I
Note to self: "Damn! Why don't you just fix it!!!"

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Do you think I should use SoftwareSerial(2, 2)? Or some other unused input pin?
People normally use SoftwareSerial(255, 2) or some other large value that will never be used by an output pin.

A few suggestions
- change to the newsoftserial library rather than the software serial one.
- have you tried resetting the serial LCD (as far as I can remember - there is a command for this or is it just to reset to 9600 baud?)
- have you asked Sparkfun about it as they wrote the code on the pic chip which controls the display so they might have a better idea (I presume it is a Sparkfun one - did I miss this somewhere?)

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Follow the LCD initialization link at http://web.alfredstate.edu/weimandn for a complete explanation.
Interesting, thanks.

I tried to implement that initialization as follows:
Code:
  delay(110);   // Step 1: > 100ms

lcd_do(0x30); // Step 2: Function Set
  delay(5);     // > 4.1ms

lcd_do(0x30); // Step 3: Function Set
  delay(1);     // > 100us

lcd_do(0x30); // Step 4: Function Set
  delay(1);     // > 100us

lcd_do(0x38); // Step 5: Function Set D=1 N=1 F=0
  delay(1);     // > 53us

lcd_do(0x08); // Step 6: Display off
  delay(1);     // > 53us

lcd_do(0x01); // Step 7: clear
  delay(5);     // > 3ms

lcd_do(0x38); // Step 8: Entry Mode set: I/D=1, S=0
  delay(1);     // > 53us

// step 9 = nothing 

lcd_do(0x0C); // Step 10: Display on D=1, C=0, B=0
  delay(1);     // > 53us
Unfortunately this did not help. Any ideas?

People normally use SoftwareSerial(255, 2) or some other large value that will never be used by an output pin.
Ok, thanks. I changed this now, but unfortunately it did not change anything.

change to the newsoftserial library rather than the software serial one.
Ok, I tried this as well. No change either.

have you tried resetting the serial LCD (as far as I can remember - there is a command for this or is it just to reset to 9600 baud?)
There is a command to set the baud rate. I don't think there is a reset command.

I presume it is a Sparkfun one - did I miss this somewhere?
Yes it is. (see first page in this topic)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: