Go Down

Topic: Serial ports missing - Arduino Nano Windows 7 (Read 649 times) previous topic - next topic

rynd2it

Hi,

There are a number of thread here on this and related topics - I have read them and followed the various suggestions etc. Nothing has altered my situation:

I have just acquired a laptop to use for programming the Arduino Nano.
The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L500-1DT running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium Edition.

I installed the latest Arduino IDE and during the install it indicated it was installing drivers. However, when opening the Windows Device Manager (hidden items) there are no serial (COM1 etc) ports listed, they are not even greyed out. Connecting the known working Nano via a known, working USB cable nothing changes, no COM ports. (I know it's all working as I can connect it using an old WinXP Dell laptop).

I have found and installed the CH341SER program, searched all Toshiba support (such as it is) and I am going nowhere. I have looked in the Arduino install files and found that the Nano is not specifically mentioned, not even under the old drivers section.

Just to add to my situation, I can only communicate with you while I am at home and the Nano is fixed to my model railway board at the club 5 miles away where there is no internet connection. So suggestions to try something using the board might take a while :)

However, I suspect the problem is related to driver installation so it might be fixable without the board being connected.

What can you suggest next?

David

ieee488

Jul 04, 2018, 09:43 pm Last Edit: Jul 04, 2018, 09:44 pm by ieee488
Then you don't have the right driver installed.

septillion

Multi dollar question, real or fake Arduino. If it's from Ali, eBay or Amezon it's probably fake. The IDE only comes with drivers for the real Arduino's. If it's a fake, have a close look at the chip next to the USB port.

And did you use the CH340 driver from the manufacturer?
Use fricking code tags!!!!
I want x => I would like x, I need help => I would like help, Need fast => Go and pay someone to do the job...

NEW Library to make fading leds a piece of cake
https://github.com/septillion-git/FadeLed

rynd2it

Multi dollar question, real or fake Arduino. If it's from Ali, eBay or Amezon it's probably fake. The IDE only comes with drivers for the real Arduino's. If it's a fake, have a close look at the chip next to the USB port.

And did you use the CH340 driver from the manufacturer?
If the board is a fake, how come it works just fine when connected to my old Dell WinXP machine? What would I look for on the chip?

For your second question, Yes that's what I installed.

I'm going to try to restart the driver connection today, after a chat with my laptop supplier I may have missed a step. More news later (much later!)

David

septillion

Fake was the wrong word, clone. All Arduino's from China at least are clones so AliExpress, Banggood, eBay, Amazon etc all are 99% clones. Nothing wrong with clones, that's why it's open source :) (Although a contribution to Arduino is nice if you do buy clones, like me.)

And what to look for on the chip? The real deal has a FT232 chip on it from FTDI. Although not 100% guarantee it's real if you do have that chip. Up until FTDI-gate that was a popular chip on clone Arduino's. Only problem, the clones DID use fake chips for that..

So big piece of the puzzle, where did you buy it?
I want x => I would like x, I need help => I would like help, Need fast => Go and pay someone to do the job...

rynd2it

Fake was the wrong word, clone. All Arduino's from China at least are clones so AliExpress, Banggood, eBay, Amazon etc all are 99% clones. Nothing wrong with clones, that's why it's open source :) (Although a contribution to Arduino is nice if you do buy clones, like me.)

And what to look for on the chip? The real deal has a FT232 chip on it from FTDI. Although not 100% guarantee it's real if you do have that chip. Up until FTDI-gate that was a popular chip on clone Arduino's. Only problem, the clones DID use fake chips for that..

So big piece of the puzzle, where did you buy it?
I do not know where it was bought, I can find out maybe next week when the original purchaser comes back. Meantime I'll look at the chip today.

Thanks again

David

rynd2it

Well an unsuccessful day but some ideas. It seems that it is possible that when the computer was first connected to the Arduino Windows did not recognise it and whatever happened next was wrong and it is now added as an unknown device (it isn't) or as a device that is incorrect. As this would take ages to search the device manager, Plan 'B' is to reset the computer to it's earliest (pre-Arduino) state and start again. This I have done with system restore.

Now, so as not to repeat the problem I need to understand the correct install procedure. I am thinking to install the Arduino IDE, close it down and the connect the board via the USB cable. This should force Windows to report it and then I can point it to the FTDI files to load the driver. Or, should I point it at the CH341SER drivers?

I did read the troubleshooting and installation guide but it doesn't actually state this or indeed mention the Arduino Nano specifically.

I was unable to read the information on the actual chip despite using an 8x illuminating magnifer and I tried to take a picture of it with my camera but that didn't work too well either so I can't confirm the chip information.

I'd appreciate some guidance on my plan of action so that I can try again tomorrow.

Many thanks for your patience

David

septillion

What driver you should use depends on the chip. But it can not hurt to install both. Or actually, multiple. Because the FTDI and CH340g are not the only chips used in the past... It's a petty you don't have internet over there because some (like the real FTDI, not the fake) are detected by Windows and automatically installed.

The reading on the chips can be a total bitch to read. To find out the chip used you can also connect it up and go into device manager and check the VID and PID id's of them. Go to properties, tab Details, select Device instance path, it's part of it. If it's a FTDI it should have a VID of 0x0403 and I think 0x6001 as PID (in the path ...VID_0403_PID6001...). Can't quickly find the VID/PID for a CH340g.

rynd2it

Thanks, I'll see what happens later on, but if I cannot get windows to recognise it not sure how I can identify the chip. If we can, I'll turn the board over completely and use the magnifier and a camera with a macro lens.

Just curious, my Windows 10 desktop has COM ports without me doing anything, just have the usual USB stuff there.

Cheers

David

septillion

The device needs to show up in device manager whatsoever. Being it recognized (as COM), being it faulty (with a !) or just as unknown device. If it does not show up at all you have a different problem (because the PC doesn't even get as far as looking for the driver).

Is the Arduino connected to a USB 3.x port? Some chips just doesn't seem to like those, try a USB 2.0 port.

Did you try different cables?

If you Windows 10 machine has COM ports without connecting the Arduino (or COM adapters) that can mean three things (i can think of):
1) Your PC has a REAL COM port. Last couple of years they seem to be pretty common again. But this port might only be a header on you motherboard aka you might not see it on the outside.
2) You have a device connected (probably via USB) that also mimics a COM port to do it's thing.
3) You have software installed that makes a virtual COM port. If you go into the properties of that COM port you can find out if you want.

rynd2it

The device needs to show up in device manager whatsoever. Being it recognized (as COM), being it faulty (with a !) or just as unknown device. If it does not show up at all you have a different problem (because the PC doesn't even get as far as looking for the driver).

Is the Arduino connected to a USB 3.x port? Some chips just doesn't seem to like those, try a USB 2.0 port.

That's the problem - it probably did show up somewhere in the device manager but the tedium of going through every device looking for the associated driver was too much. So I have reverted the machine to it's virgin state and I'll plug it in tonight when it should show up probably as an unidentified item then I can point it to the drivers. I have used different cables but it only has USB 2.0 ports - it dates from 2009.

rynd2it

That's the problem - it probably did show up somewhere in the device manager but the tedium of going through every device looking for the associated driver was too much. So I have reverted the machine to it's virgin state and I'll plug it in tonight when it should show up probably as an unidentified item then I can point it to the drivers. I have used different cables but it only has USB 2.0 ports - it dates from 2009.
That didn't work :( The new laptop will not recognise the Arduino no matter what I do.

There are actually three Arduino boards on my layout (three separate baseboards) I did get one to connect to an old WinXP laptop and successfully uploaded the program by uninstalling the USB COM1 driver, Windows reinstalled it automatically and when I plugged the Arduino in it came up on COM4 - which I used successfuly. Moving that laptop to the other two boards did not work. I ran out of time but maybe I'll try the uninstall trick for each one.

Maybe unrelated but one of the boards is running hot and it's LEDs seem brighter. The input voltage is correct (12vdc) what could cause this?

Thanks again

David

hammy

Jul 07, 2018, 12:04 pm Last Edit: Jul 07, 2018, 12:24 pm by hammy
Take a look here for the driver instructions and guide:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Nano-CH340/%3famp_page=true

As an alternative you can program via the Icsp port ( 6 pin connector) with an Ftdi adapter - these work very well and bypass the on board USB
Like this:

https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/usb-5v-ftdi-pl2303-serial-adapter?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItOSHmd6M3AIVTzobCh1Oswc-EAQYAiABEgJkOPD_BwE

rynd2it

Jul 07, 2018, 12:28 pm Last Edit: Jul 07, 2018, 12:34 pm by rynd2it
Well, the "instructables" is useless as all he talks about is a Mac and his screen shots are Mac. I'll check on the USB Ftdi port although I'm not sure where it fits - photo of my installation attached.

septillion

Take a look here for the driver instructions and guide:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Nano-CH340/%3famp_page=true
That is very specify for the CH350G which this board might or might not have...

@rynd2it, that is unfortunate. Isn't it a good idea to just take out the Nano's and take them home to test there (with internet)?

Like I said, if they don't show up in Device manager (you should at least here the USB connected sound and see the list update if you plug it in) it's not a driver problem. At least not of the board, might still be a driver issue of the USB controller IN the computer.

Maybe unrelated but one of the boards is running hot and it's LEDs seem brighter. The input voltage is correct (12vdc) what could cause this?
An Arduino powered with 12V is borderline (at least most Arduino's including originals). On 12V it just has enough capacity to power itself but nothing else. Even a simple LED may be to much. That's due to the small linear regulator on the board witch just can get rid of it's heat. I don't know for sure with the proto board you use...

In the end it might be simpler (at least saves you from new grey hair) to just buy a couple of new ones. They are after all, dirt cheap.

Go Up