Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: New ethernet shield?  (Read 5382 times)
Sussex UK / CT USA
Edison Member
Forums forever
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have the same shield as shown in first post of this thread.

Bought mine from Sparkfun, ordered 11 July 2011, Sparkfun part DEV-09026

At 24 Aug 2011 Sparkfun were still showing that on their site, and had a lot of specific information about the board and its use. No mention of POE.
They speak of it as "the latest revision"... and they are (again) out of stock on this item.

SHAME ON SOMEBODY... no board should be produced without a clear version id somewhere in the silkscreen...

But it does work nicely! At least with my UNO, running my little ArduServer demo which has two buttons: "LED On" / "LED Off", a label to tell the user what light level is being seen on the light sensors the LED shines on, and code to connect my server to a service which logs visits, displays where visits have come from on a spinning globe from RevolverMaps.com.

See demo at....

http://www.mon277rr.dyndns.org:81/

Explained at....

ArduServer.com

===
Back to the mystery board...

It would be "nice" if the good people at the Arduino "home office" would update...

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardEthernet

... put a picture there of the version-less board, give it a version ID so that we can have sensible discussions about what it can and cannot do.

If there's room in the silkscreen for "Zero carbon footprint"... in two languages... a claim that I find peculiar anyway, there's room for a version id.

Not impressed. Will go back to buying clones!

(It does seem to be a pretty good board, though, I will concede.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:48:11 pm by tkbyd » Logged

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

SHAME ON SOMEBODY... no board should be produced without a clear version id somewhere in the silkscreen...
+1 to this - I agree all boards should have a version so we know which we're talking about.

If there's room in the silkscreen for "Zero carbon footprint"... in two languages... a claim that I find peculiar anyway, there's room for a version id.
A claim which I'd say cannot ever be true.

View Profile

Thanks guys.  I guess I just won't be able to use PoE this time.

MTCoster

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Well it's a shame things like this happen - you expect it to be able to do one thing but then you find you can't as it wasn't clear which version the device was and what it could do. :/

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks guys.  I guess I just won't be able to use PoE this time.

Well, if you like to tinker, wire your cat5 wire to use only four wires for the ethernet (10BaseT) and use the other four for a DIY power setup.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Well, if you like to tinker, wire your cat5 wire to use only four wires for the ethernet (10BaseT) and use the other four for a DIY power setup.
Yeah there's nothing stopping you taking 2 wires out before the ethernet plug and tapping off the power (or ensuring the pins are isolated on the socked and wiring to the socket on the shield).

View Profile

+1 to this - I agree all boards should have a version so we know which we're talking about.

make that +2 (i seem to have rev5 of the ethernet shield)

Sussex UK / CT USA
Edison Member
Forums forever
View Profile

I guess I just won't be able to use PoE this time.

Don't despair!

You see the two sets of holes, one set of 6, one of 4, slightly not parallel to the board edge, in your first photo?

In my researches for my longer post, I saw a module soldered in there on boards said to be POE enabled. Now figure out....

a) Where to get module.
b) Whether your board can have one soldered in. Of course a VERSION ID (did I mention that?) would help you be more certain. The holes may have been for a then-future enhancement which was not fully implemented on your board...

View Profile

If anyone is interested try this for the UDE Jack .
http://liketheocean.tistory.com/166

and download  BS-RB10202(0202)RB1-125BHQ1A.PDF

BR
Graham

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: