Go Down

Topic: Problems with Tone and PWM (Read 904 times) previous topic - next topic

AlphaOmega

Hello,

New here, so forgive me if this is in the wrong spot.

I am using a Teensy2.0 Atmega32U4, very similar to the other devices used on Arduino boards.  I've installed the necessary libraries for the Teensy and have had no real problems getting my device working.

I am working on a project to read in a value from a temperature controller using Modbus, this portion is working without a problem.  I am taking a value read from the temperature controller (0-10,000) and will do one of two things, I will output a frequency which will be fed into a frequency to voltage converter, or I will output a voltage and bypass my converter.

I am unsure of which method to choose as I have run into problems trying both.  The first using a frequency output utilizing the Tone function.  This appears to work great at first but upon further investigation I run into several problems. 

First problem with Tone is the duration value does not seem to work unless the Tone function is followed by a delay of equal value, for my application I need a continuous output, so I leave the duration value blank, but the function will not work without being followed by a delay of some value.

My second problem is that I can not determine the resolution of the frequency output available through the Tone.  The Tone function takes in frequency as a uint_16 so I was assuming 65K.  Below around 1Khz, I am easily able to resolve and output in 1Hz increments, however, above 1Khz I start to resolve only 2 or 3Hz, above 5K its closer to 10 to 20Hz.  For example, my program is trying to output a value of 7061Hz, however I only achieve 7042Hz, this is the output from around 7000 to 7050Hz.  Is there something I am missing in being able to resolve 1Hz from 0 to 10Khz?

My second option of using a PWM to output a voltage was even less successful as the standard analogwrite function will only take 0-255, I would again need at least a resolution to handle 0-10000.  The Atmega32u4 has PWM outputs that can be setup for 16-bit, its just the case of figuring out how to do it.

If anyone has any information on how to get by either of these problems I would greatly appreciate it, or at the very least if anyone could point me in the direction where I may be able to find out how to modify the functions if need be that would be great.

Thanks

Grumpy_Mike

My second option of using a PWM to output a voltage was even less successful as the standard analogwrite function will only take 0-255, I would again need at least a resolution to handle 0-10000.

I assume this is to smooth it and get a voltage out.
PWM is as you say only 8 bits in resolution. Your required range would require 14 bits resolution. With this much resolution required you are probably going to need a D/A converter.

AlphaOmega

My second option of using a PWM to output a voltage was even less successful as the standard analogwrite function will only take 0-255, I would again need at least a resolution to handle 0-10000.

I assume this is to smooth it and get a voltage out.
PWM is as you say only 8 bits in resolution. Your required range would require 14 bits resolution. With this much resolution required you are probably going to need a D/A converter.

That is a possible solution, I am trying to make this as compact as possible.  I still have to explore the option of a 16-bit PWM from this particular chip.  I would still like to know what the problem(?) is with the Tone function though.

Coding Badly

Is there something I am missing in being able to resolve 1Hz from 0 to 10Khz?

Generating a frequency boils down to dividing the processor clock by an integer value.  Some examples...

16000000 / 1600 = 10000 Hz  (Excellent!  A perfect match.)
16000000 / 1601 = 9993.753904 Hz  (Uh oh.)
16000000 / 1602 = 9987.515605 Hz
16000000 / 1603 = 9981.285090 Hz

There is no possible way to get 9999 Hz out of a ATmega32u4 running at 16000000 Hz.

My second option of using a PWM to output a voltage was even less successful as the standard analogwrite function will only take 0-255, I would again need at least a resolution to handle 0-10000.  The Atmega32u4 has PWM outputs that can be setup for 16-bit, its just the case of figuring out how to do it.

Make an attempt to get it working, post your Sketch, and I suspect someone will provide help.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy