Go Down

Topic: Variable resistor (pot) - Even results? (Read 773 times) previous topic - next topic

sparklini

I'm building a toy for my little boy with a bunch a blinky lights, buttons and plugs.
I'd like to put a Pot on so that it will make a clicking sound when he turns it or change the flashing rate of an LED.

The 500k variable resistor is connected fine and I can Serial.print it's values correctly. The values are logarithmic (i think). Can anyone suggest a way to convert the values so that when the knob is turned the clicking or flashing speed has more of a x=y ratio? 

RuggedCircuits

Sounds like you have a pot with an "audio taper". A simple way to correct (without fancy math) is to characterize the pot. Set it to the 0-degree setting (all the way counterclockwise), take a reading, store it in a spreadsheet. Turn the pot to 10 degrees, take a reading, store it in the spreadsheet. Continue all the way around.

Now, turn this spreadsheet around. Store it in an array in your code, then whenever you get a reading, look it up in the table (you'll have to look between two nearest values) and the index into the table is the linearized return value.

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, speaker, microphone, light sensor, potentiometer, pushbuttons

Graynomad

I see three options

1) Use a lookup table as RC suggests
2) Go out and buy a linear pot
3) Describe logarithmic principles to your lad, this has the added beneficial side affect of giving him a head start in maths :)

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

sparklini

Ha thanks guys. Right now we are working on the Principals of Electrical Theory. I'll going to give the 'array' idea a try. Thanks.

Spark

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy