Go Down

Topic: ideas for custom cable (Read 333 times) previous topic - next topic

leech

Jul 11, 2018, 02:45 pm Last Edit: Jul 11, 2018, 02:48 pm by leech
Hi everyone, not sure this is the corret section, in case let me know and I'll open the topic somewhere else.

I am making a custom cable which is jumper dupont - jack TS. The problem is that the cable is too thick for the dupont pin and therefore it is not robust enough. I'm looking for a different way to make the cable, something really solid (child-proof since it's for children workshops).

As you can see in the photos:

- I need to connect to the external (middle one is not used) pins (pic 1)
- The current solution (pic 2) is making female pins but it's too fragile so I need an idea to replace this

any idea?

Thanks!
L.

TomGeorge

Jul 11, 2018, 04:09 pm Last Edit: Jul 11, 2018, 04:10 pm by TomGeorge
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Please post your images as attachments, then put them into your posts, loading images from off forum sites is difficult for some non PC platforms.

Thanks.. Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

wvmarle

I use JST-XH connectors a lot. Much better than DuPont, but probably not very childproof (what is? Banana plugs?).
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

larryd

Child proof, not going to happen.

A dupont connector would be okay if you make them up properly with the correct wire.

Example
This 18AWG is the maximum that can be used.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/20M-Flexible-Stranded-Silicone-Rubber-Wire-Cable-18AWG-Gauge-OD-2-3mm-Black-BS5/172742253627?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649   

If you can change these to ST type connectors, that would be good.

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

larryd

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

MorganS

If the wire is too fat to fit the terminals properly then you can just trim off strands of wire until it fits. If your wire stripper is reasonably well-calibrated, you can use the wire stripper to cut that 14-gauge wire down to 20-gauge.

This is not a robust solution. The wire WILL break at that point. But it might last long enough for the kids to play with. You're not building a satellite that requires zero maintenance during its life.

Or just buy the right size cable to start with.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

silly_cone

If you're able, you can use a couple layers of heat-shrink to give more strength to the connector.  Note that high-temp heat-shrink made from PVFF is much stiffer than the standard polyolefin stuff and will give more structural support.

6v6gt

Maybe start with a ready made duPont ribbon cable which has female connectors on one (or both) ends and separate off two strands. Remove the individual black plastic connector housings from one end and put the the two now bare connectors into a 3 way housing like you are already attempting to use.

With the other end, cut off the two connectors and solder the remaining ends onto the TS jack.

This way, you don't have to make any crimp connections yourself.

Paul__B

This OP doesn't make a habit of replying to the assistance given.   :smiley-eek:

Southpark

Jul 13, 2018, 03:41 am Last Edit: Jul 13, 2018, 03:45 am by Southpark
I don't think the copper wire threads are meant to go as far as the section circled in red, right?

There is even a little copper thread poking out if you look at it.

Go Up