Go Down

Topic: Cant Supply Board (Read 402 times) previous topic - next topic

Itz_Jack

Jul 12, 2018, 01:17 am Last Edit: Jul 12, 2018, 08:27 pm by Itz_Jack
Trying to create a robot and cant supply board, too many things wired. How do i give extra power to the board to power it all. And yes i understand this may not be the correct form for asking this question.
Please Help.

8 Servos
1 NRF Module
1 HC-SR04
1 Photoresistor
2 LEDS

Arduino Mega

Schematic Screenshot

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-HyvRGwQnv01nFpELGMkz2hqZz7r1-DR/view?usp=sharing

larryd

Jul 12, 2018, 01:26 am Last Edit: Jul 12, 2018, 01:30 am by larryd
If you are talking about 5v, you would use an external 5v power supply to power the peripherals.
Suggest you use a power supply that can supply the total load current plus 50%.
Make sure you use sufficiently large AWG sized wire.
The Arduino GND (0V) connects to the external GND (0V).
Run separate power wires to peripherals as in a star configuration.
Power supply de-coupling is always recommended.

If battery operation, you can use a boost/buck converter to get the battery voltage to 5v.

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

MorganS

I think you're asking the question in the right area. But the question itself is not right yet.

What "board"? You list 7 things but none of those seem to fit "board". Maybe a simple schematic showing what you have wired up so far will help. A pencil sketch photographed with a phone is better than trying to learn a new drawing program.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

Paul__B

Trying to create a robot and cant supply board, too many things wired. How do i give extra power to the board to power it all. And yes i understand this may not be the correct form for asking this question.
Yes, it is absolutely the correct board to ask this question.

You do need however, to be a bit more understanding of how to ask questions.

You have a "board" of some unknown type, and are powering it by some unknown means and wanting to give it "extra" power.

OK, let me guess that you are using an Arduino UNO, and trying - sadly - to power it by the "barrel jack" which is much the same as the "Vin" terminal.  Well, that would be two problematic things for starters.  My first comment is that the internal regulator powered via the "barrel jack" is only for demonstration purposes, capable only of powering the UNO itself and a few LEDs.  There is no way around this, feeding it with more voltage makes the problem worse.

You need to feed it via the "5V" terminal -with 5 Volts.  This presumes you have a supply of 5 V whcih can supply the Arduino as well as all the other 5 V devices - and if you use devices that require a different voltage such as a motor, then you need to supply that voltage; it has nothing to do with the Arduino.  In other words, you need to lose any concept of the Arduino "powering" something, the Arduino is powered by your power supply.

Also, A UNO is not the best for a robot, certainly not for one beyond a table top toy.  For USB interfacing, you might use a Nano but a Pro Mini will probably be even more practical with regards to the power supply.  you do not have to operate it from 5 V - if you are using non-rechargeables, three will conveniently give you 4.5 v or four Ni-MH will give you somewhat over 5 V (but do not charge them while connected to the Arduino).

More later ...

Itz_Jack

Jul 16, 2018, 04:49 pm Last Edit: Jul 16, 2018, 04:50 pm by Itz_Jack
Hello, im having trouble giving enough power to all my servos, essentially i have 8 micro-servos wired up to my Arduino Mega, but that alone cannot give enough power to all the servos. So im stuck at this point. I have the servos' VCC and GND wired up to the breadboard and powered by another batterty (not the one hooked up to the Arduino) but it still isnt giving enough power, so my question is do i need to up the voltage above 5v or increase the am throughout?

Here is the image to my wiring, forget about the VCC and GND wired from the Arduino to the Breadboard.
Link is safe to use, just takes you to a google drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-HyvRGwQnv01nFpELGMkz2hqZz7r1-DR/view?usp=sharing

slipstick

You haven't said what type "another battery" is. It may be too weak. And I don't know what "increase the am throughout" means.

But breadboards are not good at carrying high currents so connecting a load of servos via a breadboard is generally a bad idea. Try a bit of soldering instead.

Steve

Grumpy_Mike

do i need to up the voltage above 5v or increase the am throughout?
No.
You need a supply with more current capacity, not more voltage.

Link is safe to use, just takes you to a google drive.
Read the how to use this forum sticky post on how to post images, we don't like going off site.

Paul__B

Jul 17, 2018, 12:19 am Last Edit: Jul 17, 2018, 08:42 am by Paul__B Reason: He went and *moved* the image, didn't he?

I do hope you are not connecting an ESP-01 directly to pins on an Arduino Mega!  :smiley-eek:

There are many ways to post an image, but that is why Google Drive should not be one of them.  :smiley-eek:

Coding Badly

@Itz_Jack, please do not cross-post.  Threads merged.

TomGeorge

Jul 17, 2018, 08:04 am Last Edit: Jul 17, 2018, 08:04 am by TomGeorge
Hi,
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

OPs Fritzy;

Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Grumpy_Mike

OPs Fritzy
Which tells us it will never work.

There is nothing powering the whole circuit.

If by some chance something is missing from this circuit it will still never work.
1) no bulk decoupling capacitors
2) using Solderless bread board
3) no isolation of servo's motor power supply.
4) no diode across the motor
5) no attempt at interference suppression
And finally as I said before
6) insufficient current capacity on the invisible power supply.

ChrisTenone

The OP (is it a robot?) has posted twice but not responded to any of the replies. While it's fun solving problems, this may be a complete waste of time. None-the-less, here is my answer to the OP's essential question, "do i need to up the voltage above 5v or increase the am[ps] throughout?":

No, neither of those will work. Start smaller. Can you run a single servo? Can you run eight? Read up on high current projects in the various forums, do some experiments, then reformulate your question. If that's not what you want to do, try a different approach.
I'm not disparaging the differently abled. It's just that thirty years of community college has literally made me mentally retarded.

Go Up