Go Down

Topic: PC power supply for feeding Arduino (Read 242 times) previous topic - next topic

mohamedadawi

Jul 12, 2018, 10:49 pm Last Edit: Jul 12, 2018, 10:54 pm by mohamedadawi
hello everyone, i'm working on a project that will be made of 6 solenoid valves controlled by a relay module and each solenoid will need 12 volt and 120mA. i was thinking of using PC power supply for having 5 volt for the arduino and 12 volt  for the valves, but the power supply will supply 5 volt with 15 amp and 12 volt with 13 amp. i'm not sure weather if those high current will damage the project or not?
need help.
below i attached the datasheet for the power supply

Delta_G

No, that's just the amount that it is capable of making.  The devices you connect will only use the amount of current that they need. 
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

Paul__B

According to this label, your power supply is rated at 5.0 Amps input.  But you are going to plug it into a 10 or 15 Amp wall socket, aren't you?  Won't that damage the power supply?  :smiley-roll:

mauried

PC power supplies need a minimum load on the 5V and 12V rails if they are to regulate properly.
Just an Arduino on the 5V rail wont draw enough current .
You will need some kind of load permanantly connected to the 5V rail, try 10 ohms or less.

Watcher

Jul 16, 2018, 02:17 pm Last Edit: Jul 16, 2018, 02:18 pm by Watcher

According to this label, your power supply is rated at 5.0 Amps input.  But you are going to plug it into a 10 or 15 Amp wall socket, aren't you?  Won't that damage the power supply?  :smiley-roll:
Good one Paul!

Go Up