Go Down

Topic: Get rid of Quote (Read 426 times) previous topic - next topic

el_supremo

One thing that gets my goat more than almost anything else is the unnecessary use of the Quote. I read a long message in a thread and then find that the very next message has quoted the entire previous message and then added only a sentence or two in the actual reply.
Get rid of the Quote thingy altogether. There's really no need or excuse to quote an entire message.

Pete
Don't send me technical questions via Private Message.

pert

Reasonable use of the quote feature can prevent a lot of confusion.

At least when I joined this forum, the default notification preferences were that you didn't receive emails when there are replies to your post but you do receive emails when you're quoted. I don't know whether that's changed but, by the way the administration of the forum goes, I suspect not. I believe this is one of the reasons why we get so many posts here where the person never comes back to respond to requests for more info. So quoting can be a way to ensure OP actually sees your reply.

My pet peeve is that when you're quoted the email doesn't show the message, as it would with a regular reply:
https://github.com/arduino/forum-issues/issues/220

Robin2

One thing that gets my goat more than almost anything else is the unnecessary use of the Quote.
I understand completely. I read another Forum where this repetition is even worse.

HOWEVER ... what I find even worse is a Reply making a comment without any indication of which Post the comment refers to.

My usual practice is to quote just sufficient of a Reply to allow readers to identify what I am commenting on.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

sterretje

I agree that it's sometimes abused; I don't see that as a reason to completely get rid of the quote functionality.

And look at the positive side, sometimes idiots remove complete posts and by using a quote of the complete post in a reply we at least know what the original post was ;)
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

larryd

"sometimes idiots remove complete posts and by using a quote of the complete post in a reply we at least know what the original post was ;) "

Good point.

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

Go Up