Go Down

Topic: Square wave control voltage input (Read 639 times) previous topic - next topic

aranm

I would like to build a modular synthesiser component (im thinking a step sequencer) However I want this to be driven by an external control voltage clock signal. I have a LFO (in my eurorack modular system http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/pdf/RS80%20&%20RS85%20manual%20lo-res.pdf) that outputs a square wave that is in the range +/- 5.0V I would like to be able to detect when I get the rising edge to drive a clock.

At first all I want to do is light up an LED to make sure I am getting the correct clock signal. Any thoughts?

RuggedCircuits

I would like to build a modular synthesiser component (im thinking a step sequencer)

Get in line  :)

outputs a square wave that is in the range +/- 5.0V I would like to be able to detect when I get the rising edge to drive a clock.

Just put the signal through a diode and connect it to a digital input (and, of course, connect the two system grounds together). When the output is +5V the digital input will read high, when it is 0V or -5V it will read low. You may want to also connect a 10k resistor from the digital input to ground to have it turn off faster.

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, speaker, microphone, light sensor, potentiometer, pushbuttons

aranm

>> Get in line 

(yeah but mine will be way cooler :)

>> Just put the signal through a diode and connect it to a digital input (and, of course, connect the two system grounds together). When the output is +5V the digital input will read high, when it is 0V or -5V it will read low. You may want to also connect a 10k resistor from the digital input to ground to have it turn off faster.

Any thoughts on a protection mechanism if the voltage exceeds 5v?

RuggedCircuits

Any thoughts on a protection mechanism if the voltage exceeds 5v?

You can use a circuit like this to limit the voltage to 5V:

http://ruggedcircuits.com/images/sch44.png

The rectifier diode would come before the 1k resistor.

--
The Rugged Motor Driver: two H-bridges, more power than an L298, fully protected

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy