Go Down

Topic: Lighting control for Sound Stage (Read 432 times) previous topic - next topic

Jacamo

Hello all first time posting anything on this forum. I have a project that my boss wants me to do and I think I am a bit over my head. What the problem is we have these fluorescent fixtures on our sound stage now and the ballasts in them are really cheap and they use an x10 controller to control the fixtures. So instead of replacing all the ballast and x10 units he wants to gut them and put in led tubes that just plug right in to the mains. Now the only thing is he doesn't want to use the x10 system anymore because its slow and unreliable. We have a total of 10 fixtures with four globes each and would need to have control over how many globes are on and ideally be able to dim them.
So my thinking was use an Arduino with shift registers to up the number of output pins so I can have 3 relays on each fixture. One for two globes and the other two for each other globe so that way I can have any combo of lights on. Or if its easier to just have 4 relays per fixture then so be it.  I was also thinking I would have to have some kind of amplification going on so that if all the globes are on at once the arduino is not having to power all of the relays. I would then need to be able to control each relay from an app or something via bluetooth.
I am just hoping someone has already done something like this as I can't be the only one. I am also looking for any advise or where to go from here. Should I just start breaking it down and start by building each stage ie Microcontroller-- Shift Register-- Amplification--Relay-- Light?

Thanks for your input.

Jacamo

Just mocked this up real quick. Simply push button to turn on the relay which turns on the led. the code
int Relay = 2;
int pinButton = 4; //the pin where we connect the button
void setup() {
 pinMode(pinButton, INPUT);
 pinMode(Relay, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
int stateButton = digitalRead(pinButton); //read the state of the button
 if(stateButton == 1) { //if is pressed
    digitalWrite(Relay, HIGH); //write 1 or HIGH to led pin
 } else { //if not pressed
    digitalWrite(Relay, LOW);  //write 0 or low to led pin
     }
}

Still looking on input or improvements on what my though process is. I am going to now try and build a shift register to create the number of input/outputs I have.

Jacamo

Sorry it didn't upload my pics last time

Jacamo

so now I am thinking that using a arduino+bluetooth shield per light fixture might be the best way to go instead of trying to run every light off of one board. I mean they are pretty cheap these days.

Go Up