Go Down

Topic: Arduino Single-Sided Serial Board Boot Loader Problem (Read 2188 times) previous topic - next topic

sl33py

So, i made the single sided Serial Board(v3) and i try to burn the bootloader using the parallel port programmer ( i am using atmega8), the ide gives the following log:

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA8 is 1E 93 07
avrdude: AVR device not responding
***failed; 
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0xca != 0xff
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

I also noticed that when i plug the ICSP connector the 'L' led lights up even when i have not connected the power, I was wondering if its a problem with my board or something else.

johnwasser

If you look at the schematic you will see that ICSP header is connected to +5, Gnd, Reset, SCK, MOSI, and MISO.  Pin 19 is both SCK  (the SPI serial data clock) and D13, the Arduino pin with the LED, so when the clock is high the light will be lit.

I have not used a parallel programmer (no parallel port on my MacBook) so I don't know what is causing the error.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

MarkT

It could be worth double checking the continuity from the ICSP header to the pins of the ATmega chip.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

sl33py

ok i tinkered a bit and eventually got it to burn the bootlaoder, now when when i try to upload the blink sketch the following error shows up:
Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

any ideas?

johnwasser

It could be the auto-reset isn't working.  You did put in the auto-reset jumper, right?  Try a manual reset.  Hold down the Reset button and release it when the "Binary sketch size" message shows up.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

sl33py

The auto reset jumper is in the right position, i tired uploading sketches using the icsp connector (with the parallel port) and it worked.

Go Up