Go Down

Topic: -5V (negative voltage) via DC/DC converter for AD1856 (16bit audio DAC) (Read 3153 times) previous topic - next topic

Joegi

Hello,
I want to connect an AD1856 (16bit audio DAC) to my Arduino UNO. The AD1856 needs +5V and -5V as supply voltage. To get the negative voltage I will try to use a "Aimtec AM1S-0505SZ" DC/DC converter.
To test the DC/DC converter I connected the "-V Input" to GND and the "+V Input" to +5V.
Then I measured the voltage between "-V Output" and "+V Output" and got 5V (as expected), but when I measured the voltage between "-V Output" and +5V I don't get 10V (5V - [-5V] = 10V), but 0V!?
What's wrong?

stimmer

With DC/DC converters the outputs are usually isolated from the inputs. You probably need to connect the -V input to the +V output pin. (To be on the safe side, start off by connecting -V input and +V output with a low value resistor, then measure the voltage between +5v and -V output. If you get 10V, it works, and you can replace the resistor with a wire)
Due VGA library - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,150517.0.html

RuggedCircuits

Yes, you should connect +Voutput to -Vinput, and then -Voutput will be -5V. But this module is a bit of overkill. You can just use a charge-pump inverter (e.g., TC7660) to get your -5V.

--
The Quick Shield: breakout all 28 pins to quick-connect terminals

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy