Go Down

Topic: Thesis suggestions in robotics for electromechanical engineer (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

Fons1302

May 02, 2011, 07:05 pm Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:10 pm by Fons1302 Reason: 1
After some discussions with the responsible people and after knowing more about the university's interrests I made a decision for my thesis subject. I stayed away from the artificial intelligence side of robotics (that is for later!) and sticked to the mechanical stuff. It was a subject they proposed and I think it is a good start for me in the field of robotics.

It is about engineering and building a robotic gripper using universal grippers (from scratch). The goal is to pick up as many things possible with a 2 or 3 fingered gripper design making use of the universal gripper system (http://www.gizmag.com/universal-robotic-gripper/16729/) in each finger and/or palm. It must be able to hold all kinds of objects from the environment. I should also think about a way of controlling it as user-friendly as possible (with a glove, buttons, joysticks,...).

I'm already looking forward to it and I hope I can use the Arduino platform for this 'project'. Of course I hope to get some useful results but first I should think about finishing this year with no problems :).

@ TND,
What did you choose for your endwork? Thanks for the news sites links, I added them to my 'daily check' list.

cr0sh

After some discussions with the responsible people and after knowing more about the university's interrests I made a decision for my thesis subject. I stayed away from the artificial intelligence side of robotics (that is for later!) and sticked to the mechanical stuff. It was a subject they proposed and I think it is a good start for me in the field of robotics.

It is about engineering and building a robotic gripper using universal grippers (from scratch). The goal is to pick up as many things possible with a 2 or 3 fingered gripper design making use of the universal gripper system (http://www.gizmag.com/universal-robotic-gripper/16729/) in each finger and/or palm. It must be able to hold all kinds of objects from the environment. I should also think about a way of controlling it as user-friendly as possible (with a glove, buttons, joysticks,...).

I'm already looking forward to it and I hope I can use the Arduino platform for this 'project'. Of course I hope to get some useful results but first I should think about finishing this year with no problems :).

@ TND,
What did you choose for your endwork? Thanks for the news sites links, I added them to my 'daily check' list.

I thought the whole point of the "universal gripper" was to make it as simple as possible, and eliminate the need for a multi-fingered gripper? That doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue it - maybe you'll make a new discovery (perhaps the dexterity of the human hand relies more than we thought on the pliability and conformability of the skin/muscle/fatty padding of the palm/fingers?)...

Good luck with it!

:)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Fons1302

Yeah they wanted to simplify the complex human hand design but combining the universal's gripper strength with human fingers/palm should be a combination worth investigating. In fact the idea of the subject is nicely written in the comments section of the link I posted above (the first reactions). Making a robotic human hand is so complex but I hope I can achieve some acceptable results (and like you say I will probably encounter many 'unknowns' but that is the challenge)!

Thanks

TND

Congrats on narrowing it down!

Although I must say, you've set an extremely high goal. Make sure you decide exactly what it is you want to achieve, and talk it through with someone who can confirm its a reasonable set of goals.

Not to put a dampener on what you're doing, but creating this gripper AND some nice interface sounds like its would be too much, especially if you have classes to attend! Even making the arm may take you a lot long er than you expect... on top of that you have to make it controllable, then integrate the control with some user interface... Each of these is a project on its own! As long as you're sure what you're getting into. It does sounds really cool.

My project was a completely modular robotic arm. The arm can be any number of segments long, and each segment was it's own computer (which is quite cool :3 ). The whole thing is controlled by sending the x,y coords of where you want the end to be, so it can be controlled by anything with a serial (RS232) output, which is also cool. Oh, and it self-corrects for servo errors, which is another cool thing. All programmed with Arduino, of course. It got me a job a a robotics lab this summer, which is awesome.
Tom

Go Up