Go Down

Topic: Noise from motor trashing IC (Read 604 times) previous topic - next topic

Mike.LiquidC3

I am experiencing noise and voltage drops when a pager motor is turned on and off via a PWM signal from the IC.  After about 2 days of continuous operation it is frying the IC.

I am looking for guidance on how to isolate the IC from the motor so that the voltage fluctuations that occur when the motor starts & stops don't affect the IC.

I've attached 2 images:

1) breadboard view
2) schematic

The sketch on the IC is basically an analog version of the Blink example.

The minimum requirements for this project are:

1) It must run off of a 3V coin cell battery, and no more than two 3V coin cell batteries
2) It must use an IC, I am using an ATTiny85
3) The motor must be no bigger than a Pager motor

Ideally, I would like to run with two 3V coin cell batteries; one for the IC to pump the transistor & one to drive the motor via transistor.

If I run this sketch with an LED instead of a motor it will last for a little over one week.

Any suggestions on how to isolate the motor from the IC?  Or, "Well, there's your problem...."

Here is the BOM on the breadboard:

D1            Rectifier Diode (1N4001)
IC1           ATTiny85
M1            DC Motor (Pager Motor)
Q1            NPN-Transistor (PN2222A)
R1            10k Resistor
VCC1          3V Coin Cell

Thanks,
-Mike

cr0sh

Mar 22, 2011, 05:04 am Last Edit: Mar 22, 2011, 05:05 am by cr0sh Reason: 1
Start here: http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Workshop/Motors_1.html

The short of it - you need an isolation capacitor across the motor leads, and a capacitor (as close to the microcontroller as possible) across the positive rail to the ground rail. That, or use an optocoupler. Or a relay.

Read parts 2-4 as well on the site. Mike is long known around here as "Grumpy Mike" - you might've run into him before...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

MarkT

You need a _minimum_ of a 100nF ceramic decoupling capacitor and something like 470uF -- 3300uF electrolytic as well to handle motor transients/spikes.  All digital electronic circuits need proper decoupling - and if a motor's involved its good policy to use entirely separate supplies if possible because of the inductive spikes and crow-barring of the motor supply.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Mike.LiquidC3

Thanks cr0sh & MarkT.

I'll take all of this in and give it another shot.

Thanks,
-Mike

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy