Go Down

Topic: Arduino AVRDude -D option (Read 4317 times) previous topic - next topic

themroc

Hello,

trying to program an ATtiny2313 with a metaboard-programmer (arduino clone) and the Arduino-IDE runnig avr-developers special core, I have a problem with the -D option in AVRDude, that is the default (disable chip erase). A naked chip is programmed with no problems, but the second try ends up in a verify-error. I had to do a chip erase "manually" (-e) and it worked.

Is there a method to overwrite the -D option from the Arduino-IDE? I dind´t find it in the AVRDudeconfig or Arduino-Preference.

Thanks for Help
Themroc

Coding Badly

I have a problem with the -D option in AVRDude, that is the default (disable chip erase)

Disable chip erase is the default?  Doesn't seem to be for my version (5.10).  Which version are you using?

themroc

I meant the Arduino-IDE calling AVRDude default. I´m using 022. AVR-Dude is ok:)

Coding Badly

The command line when I upload an empty Sketch...

Code: [Select]
C:\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cavrispv2 -P\\.\COM8 -Uflash:w:C:\Users\CODEB~1.001\AppData\Local\Temp\build1468340934531411719.tmp\sketch_mar22b.cpp.hex:i

Broken into separate lines...

Code: [Select]
C:\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude
-CC:\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf
-v -v -v -v
-patmega328p
-cavrispv2
-P\\.\COM8
-Uflash:w:C:\Users\CODEB~1.001\AppData\Local\Temp\build1468340934531411719.tmp\sketch_mar22b.cpp.hex:i

There is no dash-D.  I suspect the problem is something else.

themroc

Oh sorry my version contains the -D option and I can´t get it away:)

D:\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude
-CD:\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v
-pattiny2313
-cusbasp
-P\\.\COM12
-b19200
-D
-Uflash:w:C:\DOKUME~1\Me\LOKALE~1\Temp\build1303
597068202028020.tmp\BlinkWithoutDelay.cpp.hex:i

thanks themroc

themroc

I tested it with the same command ommitting the -D and it worked. But it´s boring to copy the command from the Arduino-IDE and deleting -D.

Any idea, how to set (or to find) the right preference file?

T

Coding Badly

Do you have an "upload.using" entry in "boards.txt" for the ATtiny2313 section?  It should be something like this...

myboardname.upload.using=myprogrammer

themroc

NO I didn´t, but the other boards don´t have this option. I only specified the upload.protocol=usbasp. The Problem is, that the upload works once. It is definitly the -D option. Iwrote a batchfile to erase the chip before.

Regards
T

themroc

Ok Iwould like to know what this using does.

Coding Badly

When a section in "boards.txt" does not have an "upload.using" entry, the Arduino IDE performs a "bootloader upload".  For you, that means the dash-D option is added when AVRDUDE is run.

When you want to upload using an ICSP (in your case the "metaboard-programmer") you have to either add an entry to "programmers.txt" or select a close match.  As far as I can tell, this is what you should add "programmers.txt"...

metaboard.name=USBasp
metaboard.protocol=usbasp

You then need to update "boards.txt" so that uploading to your board is performed through the "metaboard" programmer.  Something like this should work...

attiny2313at8.name=ATtiny2313 @ 8 MHz
attiny2313at8.upload.using=metaboard
attiny2313at8.upload.maximum_size=2048
attiny2313at8.bootloader.low_fuses=0xE4
attiny2313at8.bootloader.high_fuses=0x9F
attiny2313at8.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xFF
attiny2313at8.bootloader.path=empty
attiny2313at8.bootloader.file=empty2313at8.hex
attiny2313at8.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
attiny2313at8.bootloader.lock_bits=0x3F
attiny2313at8.build.mcu=attiny2313
attiny2313at8.build.f_cpu=8000000L
attiny2313at8.build.core=CoreSubdirectoryGoesHere

themroc

Thanks for explanation. I ´will try this. Did you work with the special cores from AVR-developers? With the attiny2313  I got it working, but not with an Atmega48 or 8. Uploading the bootloader works with the Atmega8, sketches are uploaded correctly, but don´t work.

T

Coding Badly

Did you work with the special cores from AVR-developers?

No, I haven't.

themroc

Thanks a lot coding badly. With your "using" modification it worked fine. The terrible -D option disappeared. :)

I used the following code:

programmers.txt
usbasp.name=USBasp
usbasp.communication=usb
usbasp.protocol=usbasp

boards.txt
atmega8.name=Arduino  ATmega8
atmega8.upload.using=usbasp
atmega8.upload.protocol=usbasp #maybe this is double?

The avr-developers files support many of the other avrs, so that you can programm it with the Arduino IDE. Although the blink-sketch uses nearly half the flash of a Tiny2313:(  Unfortunately Atmega48  doesn´t work. Maybe it is the fuses-section.

T

Coding Badly

For the ATtiny2313, give this core a try...
http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/

themroc

Oh thanks. Does this core generate an optimized version for the tinys (to fit in the small flashes). The documentation in the boards.txt is really good (especially the fuse-settings). What about the "empty" bootloader specification? Is this only to set the right fuses, not to upload a bootloader?

T

Go Up