Go Down

Topic: Robot that follows you (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

tehjrow

I'm considering working on a robot that follows you.  I'm not really sure what technology to use for it to know your location.  Also, this will be a submersible robot, so please take that into account.  Any ideas?

AWOL

A length of string.
Waterproof string.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

tehjrow

A length of string.
Waterproof string.

Ok, that's just funny!

Really though, wireless (or string-less).

AWOL

It wasn't meant to be funny, it was meant to be a practical solution to a problem that you have no idea how difficult it is to solve, even in two dimensions in air.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

gardner

On the cheap, you could rig-up an ultrasonic sender with a 555 timer and a scrounged piezo element.  If you google around for bat detectors you will find suitable ultrasonic detector circuits, including guidance about choosing cheap electret microphones.  Mount the microphone on top of a servo, behind a directional horn.  The rest is up to your imagination.

AWOL

Mount the microphone on top of a servo, behind a directional horn.

..taking particular care to ensure all is watertight.

gardner

ensure all is watertight.

Well, of course.  It has to work under water doesn't it?

To be fair I totally missed the "underwater" part of the original specification.

I always wonder why nobody wants "submerged in 300C 8 molar sulphuric acid at 10 bar"  or "to operate in a vacuum whilst under 2,000 Gs acceleration and bombarded by 80 keV protons at 2 C/m2."  No one seems to have *really* challenging homework any more.

AWOL

From BillHo's link:
If I were to do it, I would do middle mass detection on the color red, and wear a bright red shirt

And the first colour to disappear under water is..?

tehjrow

Curse GPS and its inability to penetrate water!

Sorry guys, I had no idea it was this difficult.  How do rescue beacons work?

AWOL

Mar 23, 2011, 03:28 pm Last Edit: Mar 23, 2011, 03:35 pm by AWOL Reason: 1
How do rescue beacons work

Well mine's got a nice bright xenon strobe.
Waterproof, like me, to 50 metres or more.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy