Go Down

Topic: Robot that follows you (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

tehjrow

I'm considering working on a robot that follows you.  I'm not really sure what technology to use for it to know your location.  Also, this will be a submersible robot, so please take that into account.  Any ideas?

AWOL

A length of string.
Waterproof string.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

tehjrow

A length of string.
Waterproof string.

Ok, that's just funny!

Really though, wireless (or string-less).

AWOL

It wasn't meant to be funny, it was meant to be a practical solution to a problem that you have no idea how difficult it is to solve, even in two dimensions in air.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

gardner

On the cheap, you could rig-up an ultrasonic sender with a 555 timer and a scrounged piezo element.  If you google around for bat detectors you will find suitable ultrasonic detector circuits, including guidance about choosing cheap electret microphones.  Mount the microphone on top of a servo, behind a directional horn.  The rest is up to your imagination.

AWOL

Mount the microphone on top of a servo, behind a directional horn.

..taking particular care to ensure all is watertight.

gardner

ensure all is watertight.

Well, of course.  It has to work under water doesn't it?

To be fair I totally missed the "underwater" part of the original specification.

I always wonder why nobody wants "submerged in 300C 8 molar sulphuric acid at 10 bar"  or "to operate in a vacuum whilst under 2,000 Gs acceleration and bombarded by 80 keV protons at 2 C/m2."  No one seems to have *really* challenging homework any more.

AWOL

From BillHo's link:
If I were to do it, I would do middle mass detection on the color red, and wear a bright red shirt

And the first colour to disappear under water is..?

tehjrow

Curse GPS and its inability to penetrate water!

Sorry guys, I had no idea it was this difficult.  How do rescue beacons work?

AWOL

Mar 23, 2011, 03:28 pm Last Edit: Mar 23, 2011, 03:35 pm by AWOL Reason: 1
How do rescue beacons work

Well mine's got a nice bright xenon strobe.
Waterproof, like me, to 50 metres or more.

Go Up