Go Down

Topic: Something I don't understand about L293D (Read 689 times) previous topic - next topic

frikosal

I'm using a L293D to drive a bipolar steppr motor. The circuit I'm using is the standard (see attached image).
It seems to work, but to my surprise, if I don't connect the GND pins 4,5,12,13 to ground, the engine still works !
Somehow, it must be using power from USB instead of the DC external source.
This is annoying as I was trying to measure the current that goes through the coils using a shunt resistor between GND line and pins 4,5,12,13.
Do you understand what is going on here ?
Thanks !

MarkT

Yes, you are attempting to melt the input protection diodes on the logic inputs by using them as a high-current ground connection.  Don't do this!  Measure current on the high-side motor supply.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

frikosal

MarkT,
I'm not sure I understand you.
As I saw the L293D was using too much current from the digital arduino pins, I have used 10K resistors to limit it.
Now it seems to work fine.
I think that a differential ADC plus a shunt resistor is needed to measure the current in a bipolar stepper. So for the moment I won't be able to detect stall condition.

MarkT

Ah - perhaps the current's returning to the +5V rail or some such - either way that's not going to do the chip any good having the ground disconnected - especially as the ground pins are also heat-dissipating.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy