Go Down

Topic: SPI Storage (Read 178 times) previous topic - next topic

Jono72

Hi

I am trying to find a solution, although I may have found a solution and wondered if anyone can help, I have a small web based server project, I already have config parameters stored in a simple txt file to configure the device, however except for an initial setup i don't want to have the single html page (that is used) accessible on the SD card for modification.
I am seeking a solution where the initial html page is copied from the SD card to onboard SPI NV ram and then deleted.
Once copied there it can be call by the client when requested, but will only ever get replace if a new page is loaded on the SD card (say for instance an update).
I have found a file system library that i believe Paul S wrote on github to be used with some small 8pin dil SPI based NVram such as the Winbond W25Q80BV.

Am i off base here or will this work as a solution, the HTML page itself is not very large. I require the solution as this will not allow the end product to have the page changed or modified by others as it will be fixed inside the device.

I hope that's a clear explanation.

Many Thanks

Jono

sterretje

Once copied there it can be call by the client when requested, but will only ever get replace if a new page is loaded on the SD card (say for instance an update).
What will prevent the user of your product from creating a new html page on the SD card?
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

Jono72

Hi Sterretje

Thanks for your question although not an answer, however the initial file will be loaded under a specific name and changed internally when it gets copied to the internal SD storage, it gets deleted on an install, so unless whom (if they could be bothered) could work out what that was, its very unlikely.

I'm not looking for top notch security here, but it doesn't make it easy for another name to be entered or the page to be altered in the product.

At this stage I just need to confirm that these memory chips will provide the answer I am requiring for this project.

Regards

John

sterretje

I think any external storage will work; depending on size, you can even use the internal EEPROM (if available in your microcontroller).

You do not need a file system, you can read a number of bytes at a time from (external) memory and send that to the client.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

Go Up