Go Down

Topic: Wifi shield read RSSI (Read 715 times) previous topic - next topic

btzy

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct board, sorry if it's wrong.

I got an Arduino Wifi Shield recently, and, I want to read the RSSI signal strength of all the networks that are present, not just the one that I am currently connected to.  The Wifi library only allows me to get the RSSI strength of the current network.

I've read through the Arduino Wifi library, hoping to be able to add a function to do what I want. (I'd way it wasn't too hard to read this library.  But it seems, the problem isn't with the library, its with the firmware of the AT32UC3 on the wifi shield.

The Arduino reference says: "Alternately, if you are an expert C programmer you can customise the official source code to make a derivative firmware for yourself."  I won't consider myself an expert C programmer, but if there are no alternative firmware that have already been written, I don't mind spending some time reading it.

I downloaded the source from here (https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/tree/master/hardware/arduino/firmwares/wifishield) and took a look at it.  It's really long and daunting, and I'm not sure where to start (most of my C programs are written in a single file).

I'm pretty sure that the wifi module itself is capable of this function, because other wifi modules which I use serial to communicate with has this function to show all RSSI strengths.

I'm expecting to just write a single function, then compile it and put it on the AT32UC3.

Has anybody tried something similar, and can you kindly give me some tips?

Thank you!

Go Up