Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ultrasonic transducer . how to ?  (Read 1628 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hi there,
i want to connect an array of (eg 3x3) ultrasonic transducer to an arduino board and then work with different signals. i am very new to this and i cant seem to get a starting point. i know i will need amplifiers to drive each transducer but can anyone help me with the circuit. Most of the circuit design i have got is for mostly range finder and its not what i am looking.
This is how my system will work- computer connected to arduino board which is in turn connected  to amplifier circuit and the amplifier circuit drives the transducers. initially i would like to use 24-Vp-p, 40-Khz rectangular signal as the driving signal through the transducers. i will be using Ultrasonic Transducer - Maxbotix UT.
My questions are -
what amplifier should i use ?
how many amplifier do i need to use? where can i get more information on schematics and connections?

Not sure if i have been able to get my problem through but this is the best i could do at this point.
This is a starting point of a interesting and challenging uni project and i hope someone could help me get started.  smiley-roll-sweat!!
looking forward to hearing from someone!!

Red Sea, Saudi Arabia
God Member
..On The Red Sea
View Profile

Can you tell us more about what you are trying to do??

If you are not looking for range information, what are you looking for???

Regards, Terry King  ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa
terry@yourduino.com  LEARN! DO! (Arduino Boards, Sensors, Parts @ http://yourduino.com

View Profile

hey mate!
thanks for taking the time to read.
okay the idea is to create haptic feedback using ultrasonic transducers. so in other words using arrays of ultrasound transducers , tactile sensation can be produced while interacting with virtual objects. look at the following videos:-

my eventual target is to combine a ultrasound tactile display with kinect but that far far down the road.
no i just wanna know how to get 6 or 8 transducers running at the same time at resonant frequency. what kind of amplifiers i can use ? how many arduino can actually drive? will i need a fpga board? so these are the questions that i have now.
the information that i got from reading the papers published by these japanese guys does not actually provide me much system details. instead it talks more about the applied physics of it.

so long story short, i just wanna start by driving 4 transducers at the same time, all running at resonant frequency using arduino board.
so what amplifiers should i use and where can i get some circuit schematics ?

again hope i have not made u crazy by asking questions haphazardly!!
cheers!!

Red Sea, Saudi Arabia
God Member
..On The Red Sea
View Profile

All questions are good  smiley-cool

If you want to drive all the transducers with the same signal, that gets easier. 

What are your transducers like?? What power will they handle?  Do you expect to pulse them on and off rapidly, or run CW (Continuous wave)?? Most echo-ranging transducers are pulsed.

Look at high-power systems like "fish finders" and "Depth Gauges"..

First part of Engineering is finding the right questions  smiley-roll

Regards, Terry King  ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa
terry@yourduino.com  LEARN! DO! (Arduino Boards, Sensors, Parts @ http://yourduino.com

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

so what amplifiers should i use and where can i get some circuit schematics
Depends on the transducer.
For common 40kHz devices, MAX232 should do the trick.

hope i have not made u crazy by asking questions haphazardly!!
Don't mind questions, but don't like txt.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

View Profile

All questions are good  smiley-cool

If you want to drive all the transducers with the same signal, that gets easier. 

What are your transducers like?? What power will they handle?  Do you expect to pulse them on and off rapidly, or run CW (Continuous wave)?? Most echo-ranging transducers are pulsed.

Look at high-power systems like "fish finders" and "Depth Gauges"..

First part of Engineering is finding the right questions  smiley-roll

At this point i plan to use Ultrasonic Transducer - Maxbotix UT (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8505) from sparkfun. And i was just doing some reading of signals to understand what kind of signals i will need to use and so far not much progress. However this is what the people in the video did and i quote " The driving signal into the transducer is a 24-Vp-p, 40-Khz rectangular wave whose DC component is cut by an HPF"
i plan to do this to 6 transducers at the same time and so yes all being driven by the same frequency.
what amp to use for this ? any schematics from anywhere ?

Thanks again!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: