Go Down

Topic: Sending SMS with a Cellular XBee (Read 123 times) previous topic - next topic

Gladianous

Aug 10, 2018, 10:02 pm Last Edit: Aug 10, 2018, 10:10 pm by Gladianous
Hello, I am trying to use the following XBee cellular modem to send SMS from my Arduino to my phone.

Digi XBee Cellular Cat 1 LTE

I am using the following Arduino shield to interface with the XBee.

https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-wirelss-sd-shield

I am successfully sending SMS using XCTU as described in the guide below.

Sending SMS Using XCTU

This is where I start having issues. While I am able to send sms to my phone using XCTU, I am unable to send any form of sms through the cell modem when it is attached to the arduino and shield. I attempted to modify the code provided, but I don't really understand the basics of the hardware.

What I believe I understood was that the XBee sends the Serial data it receives as SMS when it receives a delimiter (0D) set in XCTU. As such, I set my code up to write to the Serial port and set the arduino shield to "micro." The code is below:

Code: [Select]

void setup(){
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.println("It");
Serial.println("0D");
delay(5000);
}

void loop(){

}

I based this off the example code found on the arduino site for the shield.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoWirelessShield

I have also tried writing the relevant bytes to Serial instead of printing the characters. (0x69 and 0x0D) If it is the case that the shield simply does not interface with the XBee, then just knowing that would be a huge help.

Hopefully someone here can lend me a hand, as I've hit the limits of my knowledge on the subject, and I'm having a great deal of trouble finding information pertaining to these LTE XBee modules.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just let me know if there's something I've failed to supply that's needed.

PaulS

I am using the following Arduino shield to interface with the XBee.
Which position is the switch in?

I based this off the example code found on the arduino site for the shield.
I can't imagine why you thought that the code for talking (transparently) to another Arduino (through properly configured XBee series 1 modules) would be useful for talking TO a GPRS chip.

I am successfully sending SMS using XCTU as described in the guide below.
So, you thought you'd try something completely different, when the Arduino is sending the commands, and somehow, magically, that would work just as well. I can't imagine why.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Go Up