Go Down

Topic: Help Vampire (Read 778 times) previous topic - next topic

Delta_G

Aug 16, 2018, 04:38 pm Last Edit: Aug 16, 2018, 04:38 pm by Delta_G
user @ted took the thread down that had this posted in it.  I thought it would be good to share here.

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/eoc/help_vampire.htm

I think mention should be added for the threads that end up being...  ok now the errors are this  ...  fix this line ..  ok now the errors are this ... fix this line .. ok now the errors are this.   You know the ones, where you know they're not putting any more effort into it than to copy what you posted into their code and copy error messages back to the forum. 
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

GoForSmoke

They're screwing themselves out of time and learning by doing that. Be sure to post how sorry you feel just seeing how badly they let themselves down.
1) http://gammon.com.au/blink  <-- tasking Arduino 1-2-3
2) http://gammon.com.au/serial <-- techniques howto
3) http://gammon.com.au/interrupts
Your sketch can sense ongoing process events in time.
Your sketch can make events to control it over time.

AWOL

user @ted took the thread down that had this posted in it. 
{gentle throat-clearing}That would be me.

The thread had got so far off-topic that I could just see it drifting off into deep ad hominem territory, so I thought I'd give @ted an opportunity to go away and reformulate the question (and his/her approach to questions on the forum generally).

But, yes, I loved the vampire article.
"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

Robin2

I especially like these paragraphs
Enforce autonomy. No matter how beneficent you're feeling, never directly answer a common question. This is the lazy way out, and you only enable the Help Vampires instead of truly helping them. Let the URL to your help resources be your only answer, but tell the vamp you are happy to help if he explores those avenues of self-help and still cannot find an answer.

Foster thinking. Even if it's not a question you see go by 50 times a day, don't answer it with a direct fix (unless the person is a known non-vamp, or it's a real puzzler). Answer with questions to spur (and guide) thought. If the Help Vampire resists thinking or complains, give them the URL for the Resources page and withhold further assistance.
I am very happy to help someone with something they don't know or don't understand. But I don't think it is useful to do something for a person that he is perfectly capable of doing himself - such as modifying a Post to use code tags, or making images visible.

Robbing someone of the opportunity to do things that he is capable of doing just reduces his confidence to do anything.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

GoForSmoke

Or hers....

I think the posts that bother me most are the ones who want to start far beyond beginner.

Expectations don't inform but D-K people have no problem arguing from ignorance, that's their "power".
1) http://gammon.com.au/blink  <-- tasking Arduino 1-2-3
2) http://gammon.com.au/serial <-- techniques howto
3) http://gammon.com.au/interrupts
Your sketch can sense ongoing process events in time.
Your sketch can make events to control it over time.

Delta_G

Aug 17, 2018, 06:56 pm Last Edit: Aug 17, 2018, 06:57 pm by Delta_G
I think the posts that bother me most are the ones who want to start far beyond beginner.
I have no experience with Arduino or electronics or programming and I'm 14 years old.  I want to build my own nuclear power plant using an uno and these two relay shields.  Can you guys just tell me where to start?  I've googled for days but I can't find anyone else who has built a power plant like this with an Arduino. 

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

larryd

I have no experience with Arduino or electronics or programming and I'm 14 years old.  I want to build my own nuclear power plant using an uno and these two relay shields.  Can you guys just tell me where to start?  I've googled for days but I can't find anyone else who has built a power plant like this with an Arduino.
Delta_G will be more than happy to help you.

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

AWOL

I have no experience with Arduino or electronics or programming and I'm 14 years old.  I want to build my own nuclear power plant using an uno and these two relay shields.  Can you guys just tell me where to start?  I've googled for days but I can't find anyone else who has built a power plant like this with an Arduino.  
Slow starter, huh?
I built my first reactor at age ten, using pencils stolen from my primary school as control rods, and americium scavenged from smoke detectors - the rods were raised and lowered using the crank handle of a mechanical calculator, which provided the control system.
"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

Henry_Best

Slow starter, huh?
I built my first reactor at age ten, using pencils stolen from my primary school as control rods, and americium scavenged from smoke detectors - the rods were raised and lowered using the crank handle of a mechanical calculator, which provided the control system.
But you didn't use an Arduino!!!

Robin2

I have no experience with Arduino or electronics or programming and I'm 14 years old.
I'm prepared to make allowances for youth.

The types that really piss me off are the ones who claim to have been a professional engineer who ran his own business and can afford 6 holidays a year so who do you think you are, Jimmy, to be questioning my competence?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

JMeller

I read the original post Delta_G referenced a day or two ago.  I not only found it comical, but also informative; it explained the "triage" treatment AWOL spoke of many moons ago in the bar.  I now have empathy for the mental frustrations endured by the mentors on a near daily basis.  Thanks for putting up with us.

I'm feeling kinda thirsty - anyone behind the bar care to mix one part erythrocytes, one part plasma with a sprinkle of leukocytes?

ardly

I have no experience with Arduino or electronics or programming and I'm 14 years old.  I want to build my own nuclear power plant using an uno and these two relay shields.  Can you guys just tell me where to start?  I've googled for days but I can't find anyone else who has built a power plant like this with an Arduino.  
Yes but don't laugh too much because it has already been done by a 14 year old.
Taylor Wilson now has a reactor in a lab in the University of Nevada that is more sophisticated than the one he built when he was 14.

Apparently at least 32 people have built their own nuclear fission reactors.
Didn't a teenager design a viable suitcase sized nuclear bomb?

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/07/150726-nuclear-reactor-fusion-science-kid-ngbooktalk/

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley

Delta_G

Oh I'm not saying that a 14 year old can't build a nuclear reactor.  I think you focused on the wrong part of that story.  It's the 14 year old with zero knowledge who thinks that all he needs to do is post on the Arduino board and someone will make him into a physicist.  It's the guy who thinks it's all just so easy if only someone would tell him how.

I bet lots of money that the guy you referenced didn't make any internet posts asking for a starting point.  He may have asked some specific questions to some people at some point, but nothing like what I posted.

AWOL

Didn't a teenager design a viable suitcase sized nuclear bomb?
I couldn't afford a suitcase, so I used a pencil case.

ardly

Slow starter, huh?
I looked up Americium on wikipedia its interesting;
You might think that a synthetic radioactive element that follows plutonium (94)--and has a significantly shorter half-life--would be some kind of superbomb material, available only to scientists in secret laboratories. Perhaps a mad scientist is studying americium in a lair somewhere, but if you want some yourself you can simply walk into any neighborhood hardware store, supermarket, or Wal-Mart and buy some, no questions asked.
The reason is not that americium is fundamentally less dangerous than the elements around it. In fact, the commonly available isotope, 241Am, is significantly more radioactive than weapons-grade plutonium, and at least as toxic. No, the difference is simply that there is a useful application for americium that requires only a very tiny amount, and for which a company was prepared to go through the effort required to carve out and get a regulatory exception.[94]
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley

Go Up