Go Down

Topic: What's a good multimeter to use? (Read 2527 times) previous topic - next topic

westfw

Apr 03, 2011, 02:58 am Last Edit: Apr 03, 2011, 03:00 am by westfw Reason: 1
I feel being able to measure mA is a big part in building/troubleshooting digital circuits.  Any thoughts?

I find I very rarely use the current ranges on my meters.

I don't often use the meter for measuring currents in digital circuits, because it tends to be "intrusive" and a bit of a pain to set up (I should create some fixtures where to make it easier to insert it into standard power supplies.) (like, use a meter to measure the current your arduino is drawing via the USB cable?  painful!)

On the other hand, I have one of those "lab style" power supplies that has meters and limits for both current and voltage, and I *really* like being able to see (and limit) the current there...

westfw

(Last coupon from HF for the meter that I hadn't gotten around to deleting from my mail file was $3 back at the beginning of March.  Not so bad...)

The one I use is EXTECH brand, model EX330.
Was $35-40, very nive meter.

Holy ^%@&*, I actually have something in common w/ CR :)  I also have the EX330, and it's great.  I use the temp sensor way more than I expected.  Beats using a finger to test motor driver chip temp.

AWOL

I have one of those "lab style" power supplies that has meters and limits for both current and voltage

Ditto - also useful for constant-current charging applications.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Go Up