Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Getting Started Trouble  (Read 601 times)
real geeks hate ground meat
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've been trying to install my Uno SMD on XP Home for days.  Today I'm documenting in hopes that I can help someone, or get help if needed.

When I first received my board, I mistakingly followed the getting started link from arduino.cc first.  This told me to NOT select the drivers/FTDI USB Drivers directory.  I have tried on XP Pro and XP Home and have failed after troubleshooting for days.

Today I found that by launching the software (Arduino Alpha 0022) Help > Getting Started, it instructs me to first select drivers/FTDI USB Drivers directory, then repeat.  The first time will give me "USB Serial Converter" found, then the second time "USB Serial Port" will be found.  I just tried that procedure and it seems I'm still not able to install, though the errors are a bit different.

Here is my next run,
1. I went to Device Manager >
2. Go to Start > Control Panel > Add Hardware
3. Click Next
4. Select No, not this Time.  Click Next
5. Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced).  Click Next
6. Select Search for the best driver in these locations.
    Select Include this location in the search:
    Browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\<windows user>\Desktop\arduino-0022\arduino-0022\drivers\FTDI USB Drivers"
    Click Next

I received window titled "Cannot Install this Hardware" - The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.

7.  Clicked Finish

I received "Add Hardware Wizard" window stating "This wizard is searching for hardware that has been connected to your computer recently but has not yet been installed."

I received another dialog window titled "Files Needed".  Stating "The file 'atapi.sys' on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 CD is needed"

I received the above error message previously, but also received 'usbser.sys' needed.  I found the hotfix, but tells me my current SP3 is more recent.

8.  Click Cancel since I don't know where atapi.sys might be in the file system.

9.  Bang head against desk furiously.

10.  Repeat

Someone Please Help!!!!!

View Profile

Have to add.....   step 1 continues...  right clicking Other Devices > Arduino Uno, then Driver > Uninstall AND IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers > IDE Channel > Drivers > Uninstall

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

The Uno does not need FTDI drivers as it does not have the FTDI chip.  Forget about ATAPI, that's for ATA disk controllers.

I'm not a Windows expert, suggest you uninstall, reinstall the Arduino software and go through the checklists.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

Thanks Mark.  However I did right click Arduino and the IDE icons in Device Manager, click properties > drivers > uninstall.  And it uninstalled both (i didn't yet try a restart at this point)

When I try the next time, I completely remove the FTDI folder from the arduino directories, just to make sure windows doesn't pick from that sub dir.  I point to the /drivers dir and still no luck!!! 

I have had this for over a month and still have not been able to load a sketch ;-<

View Profile

I'm going to try this on Ubuntu

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: